Chinese...something tree

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

A neighbor down the street, who has lived here 20 plus years was cleaning branches in his yard, and I stopped to talk with him. He thinks woodpeckers may have damaged his tree, as it's limbs are breaking off. He remembers the name as a Chinese something. The rest of the tree is beautiful, and we'd like one in our yard, as it provides great shade. Can anybody help identify this tree from the photos I've provided?

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I can't see the leaves very clearly so I'll guess it's Ulmus parvifolia. Perhaps a woody guru will weigh in to say for sure. I'm also guessing insects were there doing damage before the Woodpeckers.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - provide more images if you can.

Show the whole tree! Many times, that's all anyone needs to identify a species. Then, take closeups of various parts like leaves, flowers, fruit, stems, buds, branches, bark, trunk, etc.

I really can't make anything out either, except for some exfoliating bark characteristics. The leaves don't seem to resemble Ulmus parvifolia in size, but I wouldn't discount anything till there are additional clear images to review.

If this neighbor is still working in the tree - and there's pieces laying about - you should be able to gather all the imagery needed.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks - I'll give it a shot when I go by later.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

I now have some new photos of the tree in question. The limbs had already been hauled away, and since I don't really know this guy, I didn't want to poke around in his front yard too blatantly. Am hoping this helps.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Am closing this thread and beginning a new one. I think my addition of new photos to the thread buried itself.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Just trying to close the thread...

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

I'm confused here. How does one CLOSE a thread? I don't want to be rude, leaving my threads hanging out there with no closure.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Wingwoman-I am not sure, but I think it is only on the Plant Identification Forum that people actually "close' the threads. Sometimes people resurrect a thread that nobody has posted to for years, but the ideas are still there.
when a new posting is made, an old thread is 'bumped' to the top of the list so people can see the new info in there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.