A Daylily Pollen Question

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have been told for 20 years that pollen once rain has touched it, the rain makes it infertile. Is this really true?? What if after a very misty light rain the sun comes up and dries the pollen up, can it not be used?? What are everyones thoughts on this. A lot of times pollen is wet from dew in the morning but once it dries out it can be used. Why can't the same be said for pollen that is wet from the rain. I realize if there is a heavy rain there may not be any pollen left at all to use.

Hi Cindy,
I asked Bob of Blueridge a similar question 3 years ago. His answer was that once the DL is crosse/pollinated it is only takes about 15 minutes for the pollen grains to move down the tube for fertilization. He anwsered my question on how long does it take for pollination to take place should it rain.

You didn't mention where the pollen was. If you meant that it was still on the flower I would guess that once it dries out it would be fine to use---if any was left after a hard rain. There would be very few wildflowers left if rain killed pollen. That would be a good thing as far as dandelions. Just a thought.

I have DL buds ready to open on all sides of me, including seedlings and many new DL, including the one I bougt from you. I will go nuts pollinating.

One of my new ones and first to bloom Jacki Kropf. Love the edging

Thumbnail by
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lilly. I posted this question on All Things Plants and I got a very different answer. I was talking about the pollen still on the plant. The person said if it was a light rain and the pollen didn't get too wet it would be ok once it dried but if the pollen gets extremely wet, the rain actually causes the pollen to burst or explose and then it is no good. I had never ever heard that in the 20 years I have been growing daylilies.

Jacki Kropf gets better and better. I have had it 3 years now and this year it looks fabulous and the edge got larger.

Cindy, it the rain holds off for 15-20 minutes it won't matter how much it rains. The DL will already be fertilized. Most of what makes pollen is only the glue that holds the tiny cell together and that are too small for the eye to see. Those egg cells head down tube to the ovary as fast as it can. I say egg cell for lack of another word.

Actually, the fertilization of a plant isn't too different from a human. Both have an ovary that when fertilized with produce seed to carry on the species. With humans, it produces a baby to carry on humans.

My information is from Bob and the Internet. I may be wrong but I think Nature has it all figured out if it rains.

How can Jacki kropf get an better. Also Chili Spice bloomed at the same time so crossed them both. Yea, I know better but couldn't control myself. LOL. It won't kill them.

Waiting for yours to bloom that I bought from you. It has buds.

I don't know if I mentioned it but I have about 8 seedlings planted out on May 30, 2013 that have flower buds. They are a little over 1 year old. Sprouted Dec or Jan last year, grew them under light over winter. I thought those that bloomed at 14 months was awesome timing. All for good ole horse manure. Have some in my coldframe also but not one bud on those. They didn't get as much horse manure. That stuff is gold.

Chili Spice in photo.

Thumbnail by
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice.

Everything you say is correct. I was talking about pollen getting wet before you pollinate. Sometimes if it is a light rain and not going to be raining long I will try and pollinate later, after the pollen has dried. Whether or not the crosses took I'm not sure.

I have no clue on that one. I think that maybe if the pollen dried after a rain or sprinkle and it is fluffy, why shouldn't work.

Question: How do you save pollen over winter to use next season to start the crossing. For some reason, the pollen I saved from last year didn't do a thing. I tried it several times as they began to bloom since I needed a spider pollen for another spider. Didn't work. I store pollen after it has dried, in those small plastic tubes, then store in fridge over winter. I store iris pollen the same way and that has worked.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I haven't had any luck with stored pollen. I freeze it in empty medicine bottles but so far no luck getting any crosses to take with it. I am still trying though.

I guess I need to do what someone on All things Plants suggested and that is to actually remove the pollen from the anthers by shaking it in the bottle so that it all comes off. I usually freeze the anther with the pollen on it and then use tweezers when pollinating.

Your message above gives me an idea. I started the season with pollen from last year, dried then placed in 1.5mL Microcentrifuge Tubes with Cap. Nothing got pollinated. I never put them in he freezer, just fridge.

So, I will save the pollen without the antler. it shouldn't make any difference, but oh well!
I find those tubes handy for you can just aim the pistil into the tube without fiddling with tweezers. Doing so, especially without the stamen, it coats the pistil tip.

Below is one of the tubes. They are cheap to buy on Ebay and Amazon.

Thumbnail by
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

hmm Iv been cutting part of the filament with the anther attached and drying, then putting in the fridge. Its been out there for over a month and is still fertile.

Science experiment? Everyone saves a diff way this year, then check the viability next bloom season?

Seems like I read an article talking about freezing/refrigerating pollen. Refrigerated Pollen is only supposed to last a few weeks where as freezing it is supposed to keep it longer.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

According to Petit and Peat in their The New Encyclopedia of Daylilies. Daylily pollen as long as it'd dried properly before placing in fridge it can last for months. If dried properly and stored in a freezer it can last years. When storing in a freezer, take care to not let condensation get the pollen as it comes to room temperature.

They also mention if you only want to hold the pollen a few days. Cut the whole daylily bloom and place it in your fridge. They say the bloom will stay fresh in the fridge for a few days.

This information is on page 287. If anybody wants to read it their self. I hope this was helpful.
Happy Pollen dabbing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.