I took shots of plants at Jenkins Arboretum near Berwyn

Downingtown, PA

Jenkins Arboretum has quite a good collection of American native plants of the Mid-Atlantic and sometimes of the Midwest or the South. Some plants I don't often see are: The first is a huge, full-grown woody vine called Woodvamp, Decumaria barbara, from the South in bloom in mid-June on a large forest tree. The second is a mass of Mapleleaf Viburnums, V. acerifolia, shrubs along a path in summer. Two Atlantic Leatherwood, Dirca palustris, in the middle of the photo. The fourth is a Mockernut Hickory, Carya tomentosa, named for having a big shell and relatively small nut inside. The last shows some Yellow Pitcher-Plants in their bog area along the big pond blooming in mid-June.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Dirca palustris sounds like a great shrub to have in the garden. This says "Leatherwood is named for its pliant, nearly unbreakable twigs.", and shows how much they can bend. http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/dipa.html

Woodvamp doesn't look as if it would be that good for trees; does it kill them like some other vines do?

Downingtown, PA

Thanks for the website! I just met Woodvamp and don't know her well. I don't think she harms large trees. One must be careful where one places vines as they can grab unto many things. Wisteria, especially Asian ones, are good at girdling trees. If you type in scientific names onto the web, you can find lots of good info on plants.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Nice pics, Rick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.