homeless cat problems

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Our neighborhood has been blessed with an overabundance of strays. A couple years ago there was only one cat that was a senior who was fed by two ladies at either end of the block. He finally died and after that younger cats seemed to begin multiplying. Now there is a grown family of at least three females and a big Tom that keeps getting them pregnant.
I had four cats of my own and in late April took in two of the kittens at one month old. They are tame sweet little things now.It will be expensive since they will have to be neutered and spayed soon and of course the usual expense of ownership.
I tried a live trap once so I could take them to a shelter. Yesterday I helped the elderly neighbor lady scoop a dead kitten off the street near our homes. It is getting out of hand and sad. The last attempt to capture a cat ended with a skunk in my trap and a bill from critter control to have it removed.lol
Any ideas of what to do to bring control to this exploding population? I recently purchased a smaller trap hoping to at least get the remaining kittens off the block. Grandma cat is only a couple years old and looks pregnant again. I am just reluctant to set the trap, afraid of what I may get.
In the meantime I don't have many choices other than to feed them so they do not destroy the birds that are so beautifully decorating our yards and gardens.
I did not even know that there were more kittens until that one was killed by a car.Neighbor lady informed me that there were at least two more hanging around.
I have a full house and cannot rescue anymore. Feeding the strays is mighty expensive as cat food is not cheap and I want to give them food that is of good quality since I know the adults have babies to feed.
What can I do? The animal control does not help capture them or help with neuter and release.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!