Bugs on tomato plants AND leaf damagepossibly related?

Durham, NC

My tomato plants have had some problems lately--some leaves have brown or yellow spots, some have holes in them (like something's eating them), and other leaves look brown and dead/dying/wilty. This is mostly on the bottom branches; I trimmed off everything ~1.5 feet from the ground a few weeks ago. I just trimmed off some of the damaged leaves and noticed a bunch of bugs--possibly aphids. I've attached pix of the bugs and the plant damage. Are these in fact aphids? What can I do to mitigate their damage? Insecticidal soap? I'd prefer not to use a synthetic pesticide. Should I be worried about the bugs being vectors of plant diseases? I thought I saw some brown fuzz (maybe) on some of the lower stems, and maybe a white fuzzy blob as well, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by crabbygardener Thumbnail by crabbygardener Thumbnail by crabbygardener Thumbnail by crabbygardener Thumbnail by crabbygardener
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't think the bugs are aphids. Aphids are usually green in my area and smaller than that. A good way to tell if it's aphids is if you see a bunch of ants on the plants as well. Aphids give off a sugary substance that attracts ants. The ants eat the byproduct of the aphids. I would be more concerned with the browning leaves as that could be fungal. Since it sounds like you have trimmed out a lot of the affected leaves, wait a few days to see if the same symptoms return. If they do, try to get more pictures of the affected leaves and post them up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.