Yellow spiny worms skeletonizing bean plants

Chuckey, TN(Zone 6b)

I looked up on the internet and this is what it said:
Mexican Bean Beetle: Chewing insect, adult 1/2-inch long, worm 1/3-inch long. Orange beetle with black spots on back. Fuzzy or spiny, yellow worms. Dust or spray underside of leaves when insects are seen. Use Carbaryl (Sevin), Diazinon, or Methoxychlor. Repeat application as needed.
Any feedback? Any of these any less harmful to bees? Anyone tried using diatomacous (? spelling) earth on them instead? They are really doing a number on the beans and apparently the marigolds planted among the bean plants have no effect on them.

New Port Richey, FL

BT will take care of the worms but not adults.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh Don't you just love directions that have you spraying or dusting the UNDERSIDE of the leaves ...
If you plant several different varieties of beans, you will find that they like some more than others. Then you can plant a few of their favorites as a trap crop, and more of the ones they don't like. As I recall, they don't care for one of the purple ones, maybe purple teepee? But would attack it if it was the only variety I planted.
My new favorite plant to attract beneficials is Cilantro. You have to sucession sow it as it goes to seed pretty quick. But while in bloom it really attracts those tiny predator wasps.
Mexican Bean Beetles are Ladybird Beetles evil cousin. So be aware that anything that will kill bean bean beetles can also kill ladybugs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.