Field Trip July 20th to Betty's Azalea Ranch in VA

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

We're planning on July 20th for our field trip to Betty's! http://www.bettysazalearanch.com/ Looks like it's a day that works for everyone? So far we have:

Catmint
Muddy
Aspenhill
Seq?
Terp?
Yehudith
SSG, depending on schedule
Happy?

Anyone else like to join us??

Looks like they're open 9-6 on Sundays. Any schedule constraints for that Sunday, July 20th? Would planning to meet in the early afternoon work for everyone?

This message was edited Jul 1, 2014 8:57 PM

This message was edited Jul 2, 2014 11:23 AM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Catmint, I'm a possible too. I have an ever changing schedule, it is very unsettling. Sunday afternoons are not good for me typically. It is our family time.

OK thanks Terp! :-(

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love to come but am way behind on yard work, so can't justify it. But I might show up anyway!

Hope you can make it Happy! :-)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Terp, could you come if we met earlier in the day?

Or we could consider Sat the 19th? Depending on whether Sat or Sun works for most people. I know some people may go to church on Sunday mornings, so I don't want to interfere with that if it's a factor.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Any time either day is fine for me, but Yehudith prefered Sunday.

ok, thanks for the reminder about Yehudith, Muddy!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Any time either day is fine with me too.

thanks, Aspen!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

The morning would be preferable for me.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The time doesn't matter to me -- but again, I probably won't make it regardless.

If the morning works for everyone why don't we plan on that then. 11 am?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds good to me.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.
Thanks for coordinating this, CatMint.

it's my pleasure, Muddy! :-)

I probably won't be able to make it. I definitely want to take a trip out there next spring when the azaleas are in bloom!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll be able to make it at 11:00. I'm not really looking to be buying anything to be planting at this time of year, but I've been wanting to check that place out for a while, just to see what they offer.

Glad 11 am seems to be a good time for most! I feel the same way Aspen-- not the time of year to buy large quantities for planting, but really want to see the place! :-)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Not that I'm in the market for them any more, but all Rhododendrons and some Azaleas are 40% off now.
http://www.bettysazalearanch.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/41/index.htm

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We'd love to come and see Ya'll, but it's not going to happen, just a little too far afield.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

we would love to go too, but it is just too far for us :(

I checked out their website and it looks like a great place. If I went, I would check out their fountains and large ceramic pots. And, I'd love to get a pinxter azalea. I don't know if they have any though, couldn't do an inventory search on their site.

have fun everyone who goes!!

Sorry it's so far away for some! :-(

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a coupon to print out for 20% off all perennials: http://www.bettysazalearanch.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/coupons.detail/couponID/4/index.htm

cool! thanks, Muddy!

I wanted to check in about this weekend. Who's up for meeting at Betty's at 11? I would still like to go, although I will probably be a slow walker. :-) I know there were a few maybes, and I think Muddy has a time conflict now, so I just wanted to get a sense of where we are right now--does this date still work? I'm happy to keep this date as planned, and we can always go again later for those unable to join, or I'm happy to reschedule. Just let me know! :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Robin, I still plan on making it.

okay, thanks, Aspen! :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I probably won't, though I'm still holding out hope. My yard just needs too much work....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy, enable, enable, enable. Twist arm, twist arm, twist arm.... LOL. I'd love to see you there!

I'm going to plan to get there at 10:30 to meet Muddy there early. She has a conflict and needs to leave at 11:30. Anyone else want to come at 10:30 rather than 11?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I really wish I could go. Sigh.

Wish you could come too, Happy!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I can do 10:30 - the earlier time will actually work out better for me.

Perfect! See you guys then! :-)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm looking forward to it!

It looks like it's going to be a nice day, too.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry my subscription ran out a few days ago. I didn't notice.

I won't be able to make it either. I am way over booked.

BTW I remember the subscription being $15. Did my brain fail me, or was there an increase?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The subscription has been 19.95 since at least 2008.

Muddy, Aspenhill, and I had a nice visit to Betty's this morning. Boy is it huge! It was so big I was not able to browse through the entire area! The prices were really good, as was the selection and quality. A very nice place! :-) They had plenty of natives and numerous butterflies and other pollinators buzzing and floating around--always a good sign for me.

I tried to get photos of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail but as usual it was too quick and fluttery for me. We also passed by a mystery plant with the largest leaves and we thought of Holly. :-)

We found a crocosmia with red buds for SSG! Also got a gorgeous lacecap hydrangea, a small fringe tree, and some perennials, all for excellent prices.

All in all, a very nice trip! :-)

1-3: My attempts to get a photo of the Tiger Swallowtail
4: The mystery plant with the enormous leaves

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That last plant looks like it may be a castor bean. Hope all had a good time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.