CLOSED: July Chat - Fireworks of color!

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1362878/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1362878/

Great stories of campfires, picnics, heat and those great summer blooms. :)

Thumbnail by careyana
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room Carey!

I have this rose and different canna's in bloom!

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

And S'mores. Can't forget the s'mores! :)

Thanks for the new room, Carey.

So pretty, Linda. I love cannas.

Soon will have lots of tiger lilies in bloom here too. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

If anyone grows canna's, I would love to have a few if you have enough to divide this fall?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow them. I'll see what I have come fall.

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Linda I have an old yellow if you would like. Also have a tropical but it's not ready to share yet ..maybe one more year.

Love the pretty pics of flowers.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

LK- I have several different Cannas, I will post pics to this thread after I get home from work. Some are named, some are noid, but they are all pretty. You can let me know which ones you like and I will save you some.

Thanks everyone.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a dear friend who loves cannas too. We have to lift them here for the winter time. I guess they just start growing in the spring again. I do not buy anything that has to be lifted. Yuckie job. Man did we get the storms last night. I am not scared of storms I actually like them so neat to watch. But I was in bed and did jotmwant to get up. But several went thru but all is okay here in our area.But in other counties not so great. No power and trees down everywhere poor pepole

here are some my my Cannas that have bloomed already. I have more that haven't bloomed yet

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Those are beautiful colors!

Sorry hear about the storms last night. Hope the damage was not too bad!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous cannas! I can leave mine in the ground here so we're lucky that way. I have several including a couple Fruity sent me - 'Richard Wallace' and 'Pretoria'.

We had a strong storm last night but it only lasted a couple of hours. Thankfully, no damage.

Since I posted the picture - who else grows Dahlias? I keep trying new, pretty plants that are listed as "toxic" just in case the deer don't like them. :) How much water do they really need? And how much soil do the need? I have an idea where I'd like to put more bulbs, but I don't think there is enough soil for them and I would need to build up boxes.

I tried dahlias twice, and both times I got not blooms. They never came back either.

Thank you, I have several colors, Wyoming, Futurity Rose, Pretoria, Freckles, Black Tropicanna, and some noids. That red one with the yellow edge is new. I am trying to find out the name from the lady I got them from. I also got some low growing mixed that are new this year.Even though I have to lift my Cannas in the Fall, they are well worth it, for the spectacular color. I don't think I have a solid red color. I will have to work on that. ;)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Dahlias are pretty reliable here. They do need more sun than I am able to give as my beds have gotten shadier through the years. They also root pretty easily from a stem cutting. There are all sorts of dahlias in all sizes, both of bloom and plant size. They go from small ones suitable for a pot to some varieties that are 6 feet or more tall (these need support). if you want to try them, you definitely should. I do not have to dig them here and you should not either Linda Kay. I thought I lost my old one from Mother last year, but it was just late coming up. I plan to root a piece (they make a tuber) because I sure would hate to lose it. It is about 6 feet tall and has red flowers about 3 inches across. I don't see a pic of it right off but maybe post later.The one in the pic is one I got this year in a swap (was it from you LK?)

Thumbnail by goldhillal

I may have sent you some bulbs. They sure are pretty.

Could that be the Chocolate Sundae Dahlia that I sent in the Chocolate lover's swap?

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

I love dahlias. I had them in OR and you didn't have to dig them in the winter..you just had to stand guard all night over them because they are like crack to slugs..they can strip one down to stubs in a night. I would put a little beer in a wide mouth pop bottle then buried them in the ground with the mouth even with the ground. After about 2-3 weeks you just pull them out toss in trash put in a new one. That way you don't have trays of beer in your gardens.
I tried some here in TX got lots of blooms tell I got chickens free ranging in the yard..no more Dahlias. I did get some this year but late...they are in pots, like lots of water and are growing well but no flowers yet.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Nanny, these may be the chocolate ones you sent. There were 3 bulbs and I only labeled one and this is not it. The other 2 have not bloomed yet. Looked up a picture on nine and the chocolate did not have as much white as this one has. I hope to know shortly whether it iis chocolate or not.

Crystal, I seem to remember that it was similar to that in the picture, but I have never seen them in person, so I really don't know. It is pretty whatever it is. I would like to claim credit for having sent it, lol. ;)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

OK! I will agree to it! thanks. I will try to root you one.

Thank you, Crystal!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gosh, it's cool here this morning. Feels wonderful!!! :)

Morning everyone! What are you all doing for the 4th?

This year it is just Todd and I. Not kids or grands coming in. Looking forward to a quiet week end. We will be buying our fireworks this afternoon. We always have the neighbors sit out in their yards and watch them!

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

#1. One of my new hibiscus I got last year this is the first bloom.
#2 #3 A few of my columbines. and #4 #5 are 2 of my calandiva plants I rescued from walmart. Being dumped in a cart on it's way to be thrown out.. Asked if I could buy for 50 cents. Got the two of them and cute tin pots.

Thumbnail by Jokenna Thumbnail by Jokenna Thumbnail by Jokenna Thumbnail by Jokenna Thumbnail by Jokenna
Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

We have a Thunder storm and raining right now. No watering tonight.

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm making this birdfeeder for my daughter for her 4th July party tomorrow. This storm is not helping me get the sealer dry.

Hope everyone has a great 4th tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Jokenna Thumbnail by Jokenna

Jokenna your lucky to get discount plants from wal mart. They usually just through them away!

Love that bird house!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow, I have lost you all and now I have found you, gorgeous fowers, great friends, I love you all..
PS: Nancy, you bundle is sitting in the dining room, waiting for me to get it wrapped and sent. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Love the bird feeder. So cute. Love all the beautiful flowers thats bloomkng everywhere. My hybiscis is growing really beautiful too.

AH!!!! I had no idea the tall ones needed staking, although that sure makes sense since the dinner plate ones I planted have all flopped (well, the ones that the deer didn't top). I have them behind some flame acanthus that desperately needs a new home, as it's not grown outwards, only forwards and flopped. :( So the dahlias are definitely not getting enough sunlight which explains a lot! The spot where I'd like to put them though...well, there is PLENTY of sun there, and they'd be so darn pretty all along the fence. :)

Crystal, that bloom is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could remember the dahlias I bought. They came in a mix pack from Costco.

I had to stake my dahlias up, I usually just have the short bush type, less fuss, but somehow I ended up with some tall ones..now these I was pleased with.. and they are making those little seed ball things, I usually gather them up and keep them in a damp napkin all winter in a baggie and fridge, they root out nicely..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

A $1-2 tomato cage, which is worthless for tomatoes, is a great dahlia stake, but you have to put it on before the plants get big, then keep any new shoots tucked inside. Mother used one of those 3 legged wire stands that they hang wreaths on at funerals and cemetery. They are taller and more sturdy, not as likely to topple.
To keep dahlias blooming, pinch off the spent blooms. For show dahlias, they pinch all the buds off except one in the top and it gets huge. but I cannot bear to do that.

Happy 4th Of July everyone!
It is 57 degrees here this morning and looks to be a beautiful day. I will definitely be outside working in the beds. I can't remember when we had a 4th of July this pleasant!
I am with you Crystal, I couldn't bear to pinch a single good bloom off my Dahlias either! They are just too beautiful! I have dinner plate dahlias that get pretty large in spite of it. ;)

Happy Fourth, it is gorgeous outside, I will be out there most the day, yippee!

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy 4th!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Image I found on Google.

Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very cool image, Linda.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

not only did we have a cool and less humid 4th, but today has been about the same. I dread for it to heat up again. My tomatoes have not been setting any fruit as the nights were so hot.
First is a hanging pot of Chenille plant
2. Castor Bean
3. Caladiums from LK from Bulb swap
4.Canna from LK in bulb swap
5. Baloon flower-these have been extra pretty this year-maybe all the rain

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.