Cutting flowering before making leaves.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I started a Plumeria cutting this spring and it has sprouted what looks to me like a bunch of flower buds. It looks a lot like the immature inflorescence on my Pachypodium at this point. Anyway, my question is pretty simple. Should I cut the inflorescence off so that the plant concentrates on vegetative growth? As much as I like flowers, I want the plant to grow a little. It hasn't made any proper leaves yet. Or should I just sit tight and enjoy the show? Any and all advice much appreciated.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

In my experience it really does not matter whether the flower stalk(s) are left or cut. I have some plants that have been dormant for 5 months, no light, no, water, no soil, that have ONLY a stalk. When I pot these up in the spring the leaves form normally and I am greeted with flowers as well.

This is one of those plants, a 'Celadine'. It has leafed out normally. The plant was potted up in April and the photo was taken in May.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43

Okay, I'll let it do its thing. Thanks for the info. At least I'll be able to find out if the flower color is as advertised. :)

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

When the cutting was removed from the donor plant would have been the time to remove the inflow if present. I would not remove any growth during the rooting process makes no sense to open a wound. I think Ken is talking about a rooted plant.

Mike

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I am totally confused. When exactly would you remove the stalk? Personally I see little difference, remove the stalk as soon as the cutting is taken, or removing it a day or two later, when rooting the cutting. I have rooted many dozens of cuttings with stalks attached, and by-and-large, it simply makes no difference whether the stalk is left or removed.

Ken

The cutting was bald when I got it (no sign of any kind of growth) and remains pretty much leafless. As for the flowers, they are beginning to blush red.

I'm used to growing succulents, and some of them (esp. the rosette succulents) can flower very early after rooting, sometimes in the wrong season. Normally I snip these inflorescences as soon as possible. It keeps the bugs down and it keeps the plant focused on vegetative growth. But I don't have any experience with Plumerias, so I came here to learn.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

There should be tiny leaves on the very tip. This is what you want to see grow, becoming larger and larger leaves. When you see these terminal leaves growing, begin to water the plant(s) normally. Until there is actual leaf growth, the plant(s) can't use the water and thus might rot. Otherwise, just mist the stem(s) every few days, or if its really hot, mist it/them daily.

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.