My Ebay Treasure

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I got this new kind of hardy waterlily off Ebay a few weeks ago.Its a hybrid between a hardy and a tropical lily.Very expensive thru the waterlily catalogs. I got this plant off Ebay for $10 with shipping $18 total.Had buds when it got here.Flowers are speckled with cream on a salmon, magenta color base.Thick red rubbery leaves. I luv it! Wanvisa is the variety

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Kyle, how do you plan on over wintering it in your zone?

Arlington, TX

I read some online descriptions and they don't mention it being a hybrid? It is as hardy as any non-tropical but it certainly is pretty too!

Athens, PA

Love the color!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Mittsy, Like I do my other hardy kinds. in pots on the basement floor. They stay about 60F and dry out. Some look like desert plants by spring, then into the water they go and start growing again. My pond isn't deep enough to leave them out all winter.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Newton. This was the lily of the year in 2010 at the national convention.The flower buds look more like tropical and the flowers stand up out of the water like tropical.The leaves are really different too.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to my nephew. His pond isn't deep enough to leave them in all winter. They would be mush by spring.

Columbus, OH

Nice choice! :)

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Never tried just setting them on the floor. Course my garage can get down to upper 40's or low 50's in winter with the garage door opening and closing. Basement also gets down the mid 50's. Too cold I would suspect.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Seedling heat mats are handy for raising the temp just a few degrees. In my climate I don't have to worry about the water lilies but I can keep tender potted tropical plants just warm enough to make it through the cold days. I imagine they would work for potted water lilies on the basement or garage floors.

Gorgeous lily Kyle. :-)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

When I worked at the botanical garden we just lifted the pots of hardy lilies, placed under a bench in a cool greenhouse and let them go...only a couple of times during the winter I would give them a sprinkle of water.Mine at home get dried away from the pots, and they still grow out in the spring.They are fine as long as the rhizome doesn't actually freeze.The water temps in most ponds under the ice get close to freezing temps. So the temp can be in the 40's to 50's, its just that my basement is warmer because of the other plants I put down there.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations Eclipse... I bought some too. Love the color of both pad and flower.

Kyle is an enabler :-)

My Perry's Fire Opal is still not blooming and I wanted a pink; this one is so lovely I just had to buy it. Actually I bought 3 and will share with friends.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I am really surprised that they sell for so cheap? :-)

Kyle

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful color! I ordered a pink one several years ago, only to find out it's a night bloomer....closes up every day by 11:30 am. :)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Mary, kinda makes you made when that happens. Nothing is labeled right anymore.

Kyle

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I know at some point I'll appreciate it more, it actually IS gorgeous and a beautiful color....I just wanted something that would be open during the day, to enjoy while I'm out there. At this point, I see it when I take my morning walk with my cup of coffee.

When I was still working and I had a large pond, I purposely put in night bloomers so I could see them when I got home in the afternoon and with my morning coffee before I left for work. I remember a huge white one with flowers that were about 8" across; it was striking at night.

Many that have fragrance, also give it off at evening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.