My Sunday project Pond fun

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

Okay so a little while ago I posted a pic of where I was hoping to make a pond well Sunday I got out there and started digging. I only got it a little over 2 ft deep its 8ft by 4ft..I hate digging.I got the liner put in and we surrounded the top and framed it with wood. I didn't want to spend a bunch if money so I worked with what I had.I have one question though do you put anything on the bottom of the pond like sand? It just looks so black.here's some before and after pics

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

Digging and lining

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

After

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez
Athens, PA

It is far easier to keep the pond clean with out anything on the bottom of the pond. After you have water in your pond, the color of the liner won't be so stark. If you have waterlilies potted up and sitting in the bottom of your pond, they too will go a long way towards making the bottom of the pond hard to see.

Thanks for the advice.I will keep it bottomless.lilies will be fun!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

The dark color makes the colors of your plants and/or fish pop more. You'll enjoy the blackness.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Looks great!! What are you using for filtration? If it's in pond you hid it well.

Enjoy

I put this filter in today.still have to paint the wood but it has been raining here since yesterday. I want to do some lighting also.

Thumbnail by queenbeez

This is much fun!

Really disappointed in this filter its like the pump isn't strong enough to push the water through the fountain head. Bringing it back.

Not having fun .....lol

Athens, PA

I would return it as well. Do you know how many gph the pump is?

550 gph.

The pond is only about 500 gallons a little over 2 feet deep.I have no idea what filter to get.I liked the tetra one because the pump and filter were all in the pond.

Okay we rigged up a filter with pump I had.I also got some lights. Pics tomorrow.

Hopped in and put the lights in tonight.while I was doing that the neighbor complained about the pond being to loud and asked if I could turn it off at night.I'm like damnit but I fixed my pump so it doesn't make to much noise splashing water.#neighborproblems.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez
Athens, PA

500gph isn't a lot of push.

Is your neighbor close to you?

If you are going to put fish in the pond, you will need to keep the pump running 24/7 during the ponding season.

I have a Quite One 4000 pump on the filter it does 991 gph and the pump on the fountain is the 2200 it does 594 gph,got the pumps for $20 on clearance at Petco a year ago.I was like I think these might come in handy someday lol.The neighbors house is about 50 feet from my pond there is one window on that side of their house,funny thing is they have a pond also.But yeah the water was splashing pretty loud I just had to cut the vinyl tube so it was shorter.I have one big goldfish in there right now so shutting of the pump is not going to happen.I know it was a little soon for a fish but I got a 75 gallon fish tank for free catch was I had to take the fish also.

Athens, PA

You seem to do well with the deals Queenie. That is awesome.

My closest neighbor is 35 feet from us and we did ask them how they felt about the noise. They were fine and joked about the noise. We also have a wall fountain that runs water as well, so we are rather noisy here, but it doesn't seem to bother anybody.

Your goldfish needs the aeration, so I wouldn't shut it down. ^_^

a couple pics from today.I gotta find a way to get that fountain to stay straight lol

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

the stupid harsh winter pretty much killed my dwarf weeping spruce,I gotta dig him up and move him and see if he bounces back.Right now its like your sitting there by the pond and all I notice is this tree.

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Athens, PA

Boy have I ever been there.....

Its never ending lol

That tree gonna be thinking about it all day at work tomorrow lol but yeah when I get home out it goes.

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Athens, PA

Sounds like a touch of OCD, Queenie. Welcome to my world!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Queenie,
If you want to see how to figure exact gallons of your pond plus what size pump you would need check out E-how.com.

All I can remember its LXWXD X 7.48 which would make your pond about 478..72 gals. If you have accessories you also have to take into consideration head feet. Distance from top of pump to top of waterfall for instance and add more water handling volume for that. .

Just type in how to calculate pond gallons etc. and there's a lot of info that comes up.

As far as neighbors my formula is ignore them. We are on 15 acres but have open land across the road from us which could be developed some day. If it is ponds are still staying with their noisy waterfalls etc.

Enjoy your pond. Bonnie

The tree is out and I feel better Lol.just don't know if I want to keep it.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

Starting to get dark.

Bonnie Lol I totally agree! I just thought it was strange coming from her when she has a pond on her deck. But yes I am enjoying this so much its so peaceful and relaxing to watch the water.I just need some more fish and plants.

Most of my projects outside are done and I just weeded.....i might actually be able to sit back and take it all in.

Just have to make sure I don't spend to much time out side and start neglecting my indoor fish lol

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Athens, PA

So nice Queenie. I love how you have everything set up.

I always had fish tanks inside too - I just don't have any place in this house to put one. Perhaps the next house.

Unfortunately, neighbors can be a problem - I have the worst neighbor ever on the one side, but I consider myself fortunate that I don't have a neighbor like him on the other side.

Enjoy your pond. It all looks so inviting.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Ditto Carolyn, yard looks beautiful. Guess I'm not the only one that likes blue. Blue can be 221 variations. Learned that in one of my drapery workrm. classes years ago. Blue is also the sign of a mellow personality. Doesn't apply to me. LOL

Carolyn, kill your neighbor with kindness. One of my neighbors learned we shoot dogs that get into our pasture with cows. After baking Christmas cookies one year I carried a large plate of cookies up to him and the look on his face was priceless. Well worth the effort. They have lived out here about 7 years. Still have never seen his wife and guess she doesn't want to meet her neighbors but that's ok. Angus cattle are a little to expensive to have damaged by dogs and we have had it happen before. Young couple nearest to us are wonderful. I don't have time to visit neighbors much but I like them to know I would help out in any emergency situation or need. Sooooo smile at the neighbor that's a PIA and you will feel better about it even if they don't.
Queen, you should be very proud of your beautiful yard. Mine looks like an overgrown jungle but what can I say. People are always giving me plants or fish and can't refuse a gift. That would be rude. LOL
Happy gardening & fish keeping.
Bonnie

Update pond is doing awesome haven't lost any fish either.Had to remove another dead bush though but found a awesome replacement! So yeah did some new planting around the pond.Also cool find my serviceberry tree next to the pond has 2 cercropia moth caterpillars! So yeah things are going great.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

Those were some before pics here's a couple new ones.I still have to paint the wood surrounding the pond.

Caterpillar pics such a cool find.I can sit on my bench by my pond look up and there they are.

If the weather is good I should get the pond painted this weekend then I'll post more pics.yards looking good summer went by to fast.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Wish I had a neighbor that kept a yard looking as beautiful as yours. Really well organized and eye candy.
I love your blue fish in 1 bed. Gardening is food for the soul and wonderful to keep the body moving.
Enjoy your accomplishments.

Bonnie D.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Qbeez,
It looks great! You've worked hard, now you can relax and enjoy. (Bet the cranky neighbor peeks out the window often to enjoy the view too!)

Athens, PA

It all looks so wonderful. I agree - you have earned some time to sit back and enjoy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.