Prepping Water lilies for sharing

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My grandson is visiting and we removed a large lily plant growing in a five gallon bucket from the pond. I have taken several pictures showing the cleaning procedure.

1. The pot with plant removed from the five gallon bucket and cut in half, with half removed. (The other half went back into the pond)

Edited to add more picture below.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2014 9:15 AM

Thumbnail by mittsy

6. Soaking in clean water to remove all snails, fish eggs, etc.
7. The pink lilies blooming in the pond.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

2. The plant out of the pot.

Thumbnail by mittsy

3. The bottom half of the matted roots and the soil removed.

Thumbnail by mittsy

4. Dividing the individual plants into sections.
5. After cleaning the individual sections with the pressure hose.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Now I need to bleach soak my hands to clean me up. To be continued.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Columbus, OH

I think you're missing the important last step - mailing me a couple of the cast offs! ha ha! ;)

Nowhere near the last step. Haven't treated for snails yet. Have several more water changes to make.

Columbus, OH

Yeah I just had to dose my lotus seedlings with potassium permanganate for snails. The jerks were eating my lotus leaves!

Fresh water today and pour off the old water onto my thirsty maters. Gotta love the tomato sandwiches! That's a BLT without the B & L.

Finally catching up with the cleaning procedure. I continued to change the water every other day or so. Sure don't need any more mosquitoes around here. I finally found my jar of alum (I use it also in canning to keep pickles crisp). Drain the bucket down to about half and add a few Tablespoons of the alum, stir around and leave for a couple of days. This should kill off any remaining snail eggs. To dispose of the alum water I dump it on the grass as I'm not sure what effect it might have on my garden plants. You now rinse everything will fresh water and now you can pack and mail. I'm transporting a dozen or so to the FL Round Up so they'll be staying in the 5 gallon bucket until we go.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

VERY happy to report 3 water lilies are growing and putting out leaves.

Have a separate container waiting for them as I can't put them into either pond koi would eat them.

Have not seen any snails of any kind.

Bonnie

Good to hear. 81 degrees here in Cocoa Beach today and great temps for growing lilies. I have a couple of tiny starts living in a 5 gallon bucket at the moment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.