WHAT TO DO WITH TREE SPROUTS AT BASE OF TREE

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

MY CRABAPPLE TREES ARE BAD ABOUT THROWING OUT SPROUTS AT THE BASE OF THE TREE. HOW CAN I KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING? THE TREES ARE ABOUT 5 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND EVERY YEAR I END UP CUTTING OFF THE SPROUTS WITH MY PRUNERS. IT'S ANNOYING AND THEY COME BACK YEAR AFTER YEAR...................... I HAVE DECIDIOUS HOLLY THAT DOES THE SAME THING.
COULD USE SOME ADVISE HERE???

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It will help if you can post images to demonstrate the issues you are having with your plants.

You have two kinds of situations happening that are quite different between the species you have mentioned.

Ornamental Crabapple selections (Malus cv.) are often grafted or budded on a standard understock, which then is prone to throwing sprouts (basal suckers). In my experience, this behavior will last the lifespan of the tree. It is one of the hazards of plant purchasing. If you ever purchase another Flowering Crabapple, ask specifically for "own root" plants. If this can't be guaranteed, then don't buy the plant - if you don't like the suckering behavior.

Alternatively, Deciduous Holly (probably Winterberry Holly, Ilex verticillata) will produce additional shoots from the base of the plant as well as new colonizing shoots from its root system. THIS IS THE NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF THIS SPECIES. It is a human intervention to try to have only one - or very few - stems on Winterberry Holly. You can persevere with your pruning of these additional stems, and may eventually win out. Unless something stresses your plants (like drought, storm damage, excess crown reduction), which will probably trigger the suckering again.

You may look around the internet and/or your local garden center or farm supply store, and see if you can find a chemical product designed to reduce the suckering behavior exhibited by your Flowering Crabapple. I've never used such a product, but I'm aware that it exists.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Goats?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Viburnum Valley - I realize the pictures would help out, but it has been raining and it was a good time for me to post the question while my activities were contained to being in the house.

I fully understand what you are telling me about the crabapple trees and THANK YOU. I have about a dozen crabapple trees and only three of them do this suckering. Guess I got lucky, on the other 9 crab and accidentially bought "own root" plants. I had began to think the trees were not initially planted deep enough, but apparently that is not the issue.

Yes, decidious holly or winter berry. I understand and thank you for your feedback on that, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.