starting shasta daisy seeds

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I just dug up my Becky shasta daisies as they get way too tall, lanky and flop. I have them planted where they get the fmorning and early afternoon sun. The soil there has been amended several times, and i've given Becky shastas plants away before and thought I had all of them but seems I didn't. I dug them up again today and even though I think I got all the roots, bet they will pop back up next Spring. In meantime, I want to start some o shorter variety of shasta seeds. Could I do that in this fall and they bloom in the spring of 2015?

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised to hear that Becky flopped for you. "Alaska" was the variety that always fell over for me, and my neighbor has Becky and hers never falls over. The stems are quite sturdy and the flowers never bend, even in the rain.

I started some Silver Princess Shasta Dasiy seeds several years ago - I still have the plant and love it, by the way. It's a dwarf but some years, depending on the weather, it can be taller or shorter. This year, we've had a lot of rain, both in the spring and also through out June, and all my plants are taller than normal. I can't remember when I started my seeds, but why not start some now? You would have decent sized plants by fall and they would probably over-winter well for you, and I would think they would bloom next Spring.

Linda

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have planted seeds in early August and planted in the garden in October. They all made it through the winter. I think it's a pretty good way to get perennials and even better for biennials.

I noticed Pippi's soil sounds really rich. Could it be the reason the daisies flopped?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.