hibiscus disease question.

Center, TX

Hi, I have a hibiscus plant that was looking great full of buds. All of a sudden the leaves started to yellow, it looked wilted, and it looks sick. Is there some kind of disease that I could fix or what could this be. Alda

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe provide a few more details.. Have you done anything recently out of the ordinary? Watered more or less? Moved it? Repotted? Fertilized? Sprayed it with some kind of chemicals?

Center, TX

Hi, The only thing is we have been getting rain nearly every day. I have used miracle grow fert. on it once. It is just the middle stalk that is affected so far. The bottom of the stalk has turned black though. This morning I put some Epsom salt water on it. All my others(I have about 12 or 13 blooming Plants) are doing fine. This is a mystery to me. Any help or advise is welcome. Alda

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Is the pot soaking wet or does it dry out any? I'm guessing it may be too wet and rot is starting in. Any photos may help too.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

The best advise I will give you is to take a few cuttings and try to rot them in water, before the whole plant dies . I lost a plant the same way and I decided to make cutting and that's how I still have hibiscus plants.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I had a hibiscus that acted similar to what you are describing. It was root rot and I solved it by watering it with a 30% bleach to water solution, (it pretty much sterilizes the soil) and cutting off the affected branches.
Mine had it so bad that I actually had to take it out of the soil and put it in a 5 gallon bucket ot 50% bleach solution.for a few days. It came out of it fine.
Barb

Center, TX

Thank you Barb, I did that so I'll wait & see. I so wanted to know what color this plant was but now I'll wait another year. Alda

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Hibiscus like to be water lightly each time .....(watering the top roots, closest to the top of the soil only). --- If it gets alot of water at one time, the leaves turn yellow.
If it needs water, the leaves fall downwards and look soft and floppy. If the leaves do not look like they are falling downwards, pointing to the ground, it most likely does not need a heavy watering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.