Wilting phal leaves... Need advice please!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello all, I have some phal orchids. They have flowered, one still has flowers on it, but the leaves on both are like drooping and not perky. The roots look excellent, but the problem is the leaves themselves. I soak them and they perk up, but a week later the same thing happens. Am I underwatering them? I also soak them in "better gro" orchid better bloom 11-35-15. If someone can please help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I will offer this advice for your ailing Phal. plants.

Let's start with your fertilization. I subscribe to the adage: "Weakly-Weekly). My orchids (I have hundreds of them) are fertilized about every week during the spring and summer but I dilute the fertilizer 1/2 of the recommended rate. If the rate is 1 tsp. per gallon, use 1/2 tsp. I always try to water my plants just before applying the fertilizer and always will flush my plants with plain water between fertilizations. I want to wash the excess salts off the leaves, roots, and media. I would not use "blooming" fertilizer now that they have bloomed. You want the fertilizer to aid in leaf/plant management, not in blooming. Switch to something like 20-20-20 and be sure to use an "Orchid" fertilizer so that you get the right micro-nutrients.

Before I can discuss watering and other aspects of growing orchids, I need to know a lot more of how/where your orchids are growing.

Ken

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

You gave me some really great advice on fertlizing Ken...thank you. Maybe that is the problem I have. I have them growing on a window ledge outside. Very little sun hits that window, certain times of year the sun will connect with the orchids, but it's a very short time of maybe 15 mins if that. I mist them maybe twice a week and fert them every 3-4 wks with liquid fert. I used to used miracle grow, but someone told me that it too strong for orchids so I stopped using that.

Again, I thank you Ken. I really love all my plants, but the orchids are a little tough until you know exactly what you're doing. I used to kill every orchid until I found Daves Garden, I just need more experience. With people like you...it really helps!!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thank you.

In a perfect world, at least MY perfect world, most orchids would get a couple of hours of early morning sun and/or a couple of hours of VERY late afternoon sun. For me, that can only occur from April through October (at most). Then mine are all in greenhouses - no more direct sun.

You will never know EXACTLY what you are doing when it comes to orchids. LOL Just when you think you have figured it all out - wham, something goes wrong. Perhaps, when only growing one variety or one (general) genus, you'll feel very comfortable in what you are doing. But for me, stretching my comfort zone by growing many genera, is what makes growing orchids fun. By growing different genera, it forces me to re-think what I thought I knew, to do some research, and thus to stimulate what brain cells I have left. At 71, I have probably forgotten more than I now know.

Thanks again for checking out my website.

Ken

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

I agree. It's fun to go outside of your comfort zone when learning...it really does help and it also gives me a boost of confidence. Any advice I can get from people is great for me. I've killed many orchids in my time, but since I've been on Daves Garden for the past few years I haven't killed one orchid...thanks to everyone's help. I love this website, I think it's the best out there. Not to mention the really great people on here that like to help :)

Columbus, OH

Ken gave you good advice on the fertilizer. The next question I would have is how long has it been since it has been repotted and what sort of condition are the roots in? If there are dead roots or decaying potting medium in the pot, it could be causing the orchid to sicken.

One of the top causes that kills orchids is over watering. To make sure you are not doing this, you can take a small bamboo skewer (the type you use to make shish kabobs with) and put it in the media (towards the center of the pot). When you think you need to water, pull out the skewer and test it against your cheek for dampness. If it is still damp, don't water. Wait a few days and test it again.

I hope this helps! :)

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, yep, and yep. All great advice, Corsetiere.

Basically, and this varies some depending on the potting medium and certainly on the genera of orchid, orchids need to be repotted every 2-3 years. That Douglas fir bark will eventually break down, becoming more soil-like and thus water-retentive. That why I like to use charcoal, coconut chunks, and expanded "rock" with most of my orchids and I will throw in some coarse perlite when it comes to Phalaenopsis. Those added to the media will extend the usefulness of the media.

Ken

Columbus, OH

Oh and the most important thing Ken and I forgot to tell you is to be careful - orchids are highly addictive! First you buy a Phal at Lowes and then the next thing you know, you have 60+ through out your house! lol! :D

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

It's a little late in the game, Corsetiere. I have over 200 orchid plants, everything from tiny ones to specimen size. Here is a sampling of what's blooming at the moment. I have lots in sheath/bud, and then there are a lot that will bloom in the fall.

Check out www.tropicalplantsandmore.com and you'll see who I am and what orchids I grow.

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Columbus, OH

Ken, I meant that Nefitara should be aware of the addiction. I figured you were already far gone like me! :D

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, fraid-so.

Ken

Tularosa, NM(Zone 7b)

I just rejoined Daves Garden, so 'Hello' everyboby.

I can identify with Orchid addiction, it happened to me. Started out with a gift two years ago, a BC Makay Mayumi my friend could not rebloom, she was ready to throw it out.

I have 37 now and I get exited over every new leaf and spike.

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you everyone. And yes, it becomes addictive once you figure them out. Well, I fertilized them and they are doing good. They perked up and started growing new roots. So I guess that's all they needed. I noticed they like to be in areas where the wind blows through often. I wish I had a tree to put them in :/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.