Weather Dog Days of Summer

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Time for a new weather thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1362296/#new

Have chosen a photo that captures how I feel on these hot, muggy days. ;-)

So glad for the rain last night!

This message was edited Jun 26, 2014 6:35 AM

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...is that a real pic or photoshop?

It is from a local newspaper story-- it is supposedly real! :-).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what a funny picture!!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...it would have been even better if they staged it with a picnic basket next to the hammock.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Haahahaaa, great picture Catmint!!

thanks, guys! Glad you like the photo! Here is the news story about it: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/us/florida-bear-in-hammock/

Turns out it was in Florida! :-)

We had about an inch rain last night. Its become a rather lovely evening at the moment.

I think we got a decent soaking in my area, too. So glad--we really needed it.

that bear is a hoot!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Hilarious! I wonder how the bear figured out that sitting there would be comfortable?
I imagine people are keeping their pets inside now.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We got a good soaking Wed. night, and light showers last night. We're good to go.
Paddlers, enthusiastic over the water levels in small streams are swarming, yesterday we lost 2 on a low head dam. One gone the other missing. Inexperience can kill.

Any chance y'all could send some of that rain down South here a bit please? I was hoping we'd get some rain yesterday, but no luck. Now it's looking like my area isn't gonna get any until maybe mid-week next week. =(

Yeah, I was wondering how the bear figured that out, too! well, glad you all like the photo! :-)

Ric, that is awful about the paddlers in your area. :-( Hope others take caution.

Speedie, thinking rainy thoughts for you... ommmmmm.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Robin, I always associated dog days with the dead dry heat of late summer. Then I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Days

thanks, Ric--I love this part: "the Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures became languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies." That's me, whenever the mercury on the thermometer gets over 90! :-)

I always thought of 'dog days' as days that are so hot and uncomfortably muggy that you just want to lie in a cool spot, open-mouthed and tongue hanging out, like a dog! ;-)

But looks like according to the ancient calendars, we are coming up on them officially!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

90 degrees is no biggie. Sweating is good for the body :) We haven't had a 90 degree day yet in our town. It was 89 for two days last week but that's the highest so far.

We've had several 90+ days so far this season! way too early for it... I think I did better with temperature extremes when I was younger. At this point in my life, both very hot and very cold bother me.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very cold always bothers me...I hate it. Anything less than 35ish and I'm not wanting to be doing much outside.

We've had several 90+ days here as well already, but today turned out to be quite marvelous, actually. Was in the mid-80's wtih (ooops, there's that transposing of letters again!) very low humid-idity - very nice!! I really enjoyed playing outside most of the day at work today - hope that means I'll sleep well tonight. :)

Very cool history of the phrase "dog days of summer" Ric, I never knew any of that. I was always with Cat and her idea of where it came from. =)

Tomorrow's supposed to be our last nice day before another sweltering heat wave...

lovely evening here right now!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Ric, thanks for the history lesson. I'm Sirius-ly glad our ancestors figured out that sacrificing dogs wasn't going to make the weather cooler!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Groan...so am I.

**Giggle** Muddy!! < =D
GOSH it was a great day to be playing outside today!!!!!!!! Not too hot, definitely not too humid - juuuuust right!! < =D

It's also lovely for sitting on the deck, waiting for the dinner, and thinking plantey thoughts.
" Ask me how I know"
; ^)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Rain please!

Coming right up, Sir! Would you like some thunder and lightning with that? :)

phew the humidity is here for sure!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure, I'll take it any way it's served :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so tired of watering....

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I have just begun watering some of the more sensitive things.

I am a puddle.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, I never got outside till afternoon, it was stifling. I got virtually nothing done. Today I was good and got something done, but Alfie and I did take an afternoon siesta. We had been cleaning and mowing the yard. I was about to venture back out, but may just go work on the pool. Some days the heat just is too much, it helps to go out and get an early start. That way you work up to sweating your assets off.

It is really stifling out there. I have begun going out with a couple gallon jugs of water for the plants that are looking extra-thirsty. I hope we get the thunderstorms they're predicting for tomorrow.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Be careful, Ric, we don't want you waist-ing away.

Haahahaaa, Muddy, you crack me up!!

GoodNESS but it was uncomfortably hot yesterday! I wish I had been able to work outside, being mostly stuck inside the store, with all those sky-lights and NO A/C was brutal!!!!!
I keep hearing predictions for thunderstorms every single day, always a low % of chance... but they just refuse to happen. It'll get cloudy, briskly breezy... then it'll blow away and that's that.

Yeah, we haven't had much luck with those thunderstorm predictions lately, have we? :-( Fingers crossed....

With my luck, we'll get POURED upon tomorrow while I'm out going back-and-forth to the orthodontist GETTING MY BRACES OFF!! < =D

woohoo, Speedie--that will be such a milestone!! so excited for you! :-) And what better way to celebrate than with much-needed, lifegiving rain??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.