I kinda am thinking about making a pond....

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

I want to try making a pond I have the spot at the end of our deck. I'm planing on buying more wood pillars to make it deeper and then put pond liner in it.do I have to remove the peat gravel?

Thumbnail by queenbeez

sorry about the double post

Athens, PA

Queenie

the double post happens sometimes.

Can you please clarify? It is probably me, but I am not clear on what you are saying. How do the wood pillars make the pond deeper? Are you looking at the pea gravel to be in the bottom of the pond or would you be putting in a liner?

Lewes, DE

You don't have to remove the pea gravel, but I would recommend putting a padding buffer between the gravel and liner such as a thick layer of newspapers. Underliner can also be purchased on the web.

yup I bought liner so I will put down something on top of the pea gravel.I am going to buy more wood, maybe make the pond 1-2 feet above the ground.I want the pond to be atleast 3 feet deep or more.Im sure I will have more questions as I go,im pretty excited! This is my last project in the yard left.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Above ground level is great idea. Will help keep stuff from blowing in as much.

I had river rock and pea gravel in first pond and removed it all cause it got too hard to clean. Plus small rocks can puncture a liner if you ever have to get into pond to work on it. Can you tell I've had experience with leaks.

Second pond is straight sided, no rocks or plant shelves. Helps keep predators out and fish can't get hurt on sides. Fish in old pond got sick once and started flashing and threw themselves onto rocks. Out came the sick tanks again and quarantine meds. Carolyn knows, I've doctored so many fish I feel like Dr. Doolittle.

Are you going to have koi or goldfish or both. I've got a mixture in old pond and all koi in newer larger pond. In larger pond are all large fish. Nothing under 2 feet. We lucked out and ran into a good buy so my son and I bought 10 and 8 are still living. Transporting fish that size isn't easy. I bought a fish sock after that experience and son has 1 very good net and I have 2 that work but will damage scales if they thrash a lot. We took 3 to koi show once and I said never again. Moving fish is very hard on them and when they get stressed problems begin. Sure have learned a lot over the last 6 years about fish. Still learning. Everyone on this forum are very helpful plus there's some good wet vets on the web.

Much luck and enjoyment. Bonnie

Welp got it all done yesterday.I'm gonna start a new post.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.