Fairy Swap: Interest Thread

Ocean Springs, MS

Good morning! I am hosting a fairy garden swap in August. Names will be given out the first of September. This is an interest thread for those of you who may want to join. This swap is for those of you who are "pro's" and for those of us who are beginners!

If you have a fairy garden, please post pictures, ideas, a list of plants you use, etc., that may help the beginners get started. For example, I am starting a fairy garden, but mine will be located in my sunroom. I was thinking of using a birdbath I have as the foundation for my garden! I will also be using miniature items in my fairy garden.

Those who are beginners may ask questions for advice and tips from the "pro's"!

Whether you are a beginner or a pro, you may start looking for items for the swap at local stores, yard sales, thrift shops, etc. I found a lot of things at my local thrift store yesterday! Some for me and some for the swap! LOL

When I post the swap thread, please make sure you specify if you are doing miniature or life-sized, indoor or outdoor, etc.

Have fun! Julie ♥

Interested Participants:
Froggiesgirl
Happgarden
Taters55
Joycet
Nanny23
C_Ville ??
Jokenna
Ahoogstra
Syrumani
Mud_Elf
Jordankittyjo ??
AliKat32
SPGardens
jxstiger ??
domehomedee
cheermom
rose318

This message was edited Jul 9, 2014 7:40 AM

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Add my name. I will start shopping now!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

The first pic is of a miniature garden I made for a friends birthday. She loves the beach, rides a bike, collects yellow duckies, and coca cola items. I had a lot of fun making this and Linda Kay helped me find things I was looking for. Like the blue glass for water I couldn't find any that didn't cost a fortune or that I liked when Linda Kay suggested going to the fish dept in like Walmart and I found it, perfect. Couldn't figure the flip flops and again Linda Kay suggested foam. Also Missouri is pretty land locked not much sand but found shells and sand at a garage sale...lol

The second pic is a miniature garden that a friend gave to me. She found the things at garage sales to put in it. She cut the pot, only thing she bought were the plants.

This is going to be fun. Thank you for giving me time to find 'stuff'.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Really cute!!

I'm in!

Those are very nice!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

OK happgardenJoyce, Did you buy or make that flower pot? If you made it I would like to know how you did that. Or where you bought it. Those are so cute!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Julie, can we ask for miniature items that aren't gnomes or faeries?

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Those are so cute...I have been wanting to start one... I even kind of started one last year got the clay pot thats all broken and was going to do the layered look like your picture. This will just push me right along...

Please add me and thanks for the push that I needed.

the flower pot was given to me, her boyfriend cut it with a hack saw with a wire blade in it. He cut the bottom so it was jagged to help hold the soil and plants in.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

here looks like a fun page thought i would share .

http://www.filthwizardry.com/2012/10/autumn-woodland-treasure-sculpture.html

Cutlerville, MI

I would LOVE a fairy swap!

Those are really cute Susie!
I have a Pinterest board that is full of ideas.
http://www.pinterest.com/lcartwright55/miniature-fairies/

I also made this one a few years ago for Halloween.

Thumbnail by taters55
Ocean Springs, MS

Hey, I can see now that this is going to be a really FUN swap!

Yes, Cville, you may request certain things! Maybe someone would be willing to share with you and they could dmail me so I could keep it secret!

I know some of you who already have fairy gardens may give us some ideas on plants! PLEASE! As I said earlier, I plan to do a miniature garden in a birdbath for my sunroom. I'd love some suggestions for plants and know other beginners would too. One plant that I've seen is some kind of moss.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/144617/

I've put a list at the top for interested participants. Remember, this is just the interest/chat thread!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2014 2:50 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've had that moss. Liked it a lot. :)

If I don't have a trading partner, that's okay. Most people probably want faeries or gnomes. I'd prefer animals, shells, small rocks and other trinkets. :)

This message was edited Jun 24, 2014 3:57 PM

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, Cville, I know someone will step up to the plate for you! Just might be me! :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Julie. We'll see what happens. :)

A terrarium.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Ocean Springs, MS

Pretty! I think we're going to have a lot of ideas posted!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I would like to have a fairy garden!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm thinking very hard!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple of mine....

Thumbnail by joycet Thumbnail by joycet

Guess I will have to join this one,,,lol

Cant have an fairy elfie swap without an elfie....LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm not for sure if I can do it yet but might be interested.

Love your gardens Joyce!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

;) Thanks LK

Really like your gardens also. Very cute.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Joyce

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, LK, for the links! Great ideas!

Syrumani and Elfie, got you listed. JKJ, put a ? by your name until you know for sure.

Joycet, those are so cute! What kind of plants did you use? Please share!

I was looking at some things on Ebay yesterday. Some of it is really expensive. So, I put my thinking cap on! You could make an arbor from a basket handle! A bench could be made using rocks and a piece of wood glued together. Make a pond using a lid from a jar! Miniature birdhouses, garden tools, wheelbarrows, etc. can be bought at Michaels or Hobby Lobby (use their coupons or keep watching for things to go on sale or clearance).

Keep chatting and sharing ideas! Julie

Happy Birthday Joyce! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Ocean Springs, MS

Happy birthday, Joyce! ♥

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Bithday, Joyce!! Hope your day is great!!

Sorry I don't have the names of the plants I used in the troughs. The ones in the wood trough are succulents not hardy here in Ohio. Will have to bring that in this winter. The other one will be left outside, but I'll take the little things out of it for winter and place it on the ground.

I have a few plants I bought and potted up together since they were all in little pots that I knew I couldn't keep watered well enough to keep them alive until I needed them. Our garden club made hypertufa pots in May and we'll be potting them the end of this month. I'll take a picture of them and post in a little bit.

I have a friend who has a sale a couple times a year and she sells plants for troughs and fairy gardens so some of them came from her. The others have come from nurseries around here that luckily have started carrying little plants since miniature gardens have become so popular.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, Joycet! One of local nurseries has started selling plants for miniature gardens, but their markup is high! About $6 for a 2" pot!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to join....I really want to make a mini woodland animal garden with my nieces - I know they will love it! I like fairy's - don't get me wrong - tinkerbell is my favorite - but woodland animals will blend in better with the gardens....and my hubby won't cringe every time he passes it!

I've been on the link DJ sent....OMG those maple seed dragonflies are sooo cute! I've been on pintrest too....way tooo many ideas that I want to try! :)

Plants -- what about mini hostas? I got tiny tears from Elfie....it's the cutest littlest hosta I've ever seen....the leaves aren't even as big as my pinkie finger.

I'm planning on having mine be a section of my garden and not in a container....is that allowed??? All of the ones I see are in containers and not part of the landscape....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Of course it's allowed! Nothing says it has to be in a container. It's just easier to keep the plants smaller if they're contained. If they can stretch their roots out in the ground the get a little bigger, that's all. As to Tuny Tears, that will stay small anyway. I love that hosta!!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

I'm interested and thinking on joining.....so put ?? marks by my name.
Love the idea of a fairy garden.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Put ?? by my name too. :)

I have lots of tiny plants I want, I will try to get a wish list of them made up today. I am as usual behind on everything,,, sigh

Random fairy garden pictures to inspire you all!!

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Elfie ~ absolutely love your fairy gardens! so beautiful.

Ocean Springs, MS

AliKat, that's why I started an interest thread... so everyone could share ideas, ask questions, give advice, etc. Of course, your garden can be anywhere you want- indoors or outdoors! And I didn't want to limit it to swapping just fairies and gnomes! Your suggestion to use the mini hosta outdoors is great.

Elfie, your gardens are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Please give us some tips of how you arranged things! Please? And please list plants you used and I'm looking forward to the list you will post.

Cville and SP, I put question marks by your names, but I really hope you have a chance to join us in August when the Swap Thread is posted. I am waiting for September to mail because that will be a little cooler than now to send plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.