Finally moving Need suggestions for my new garden

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

In August it will a year since we closed on our Litchfield Park house and we are finally moving in July.
I have a good sized area for perineals so I'm open to suggestions. My garden is in the backyard which faces south. I love flowers with fragrance and those I can cut and bring indoors. Please help me plan my garden, what are your favorites or must haves for my new garden. Also any suggestions on when to plant etc is appreciated as I am coming from Wisconsin, zone 4 so gardening here will be a challenge for me.

Also any suggestions for potted plants that will be in bloom for a long time? They will be on the north side of my house in the front
Thanks,
Dee

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dee,

Welcome to our neck of the woods, so to speak. :O)
July , August and most of September are not good gardening months so I suggest wait and take a good assessment of your yard and especially your soil. Every good garden starts with good soil and short of having the luck of inheriting very good soil , I will suggest starting digging in lots of compost. You did not mention any trees or shaded areas that you might have.
Another suggestion is to take a year and really 'learn' your yard throughout that break. It will help you plan better. For fragrant and cut flowers, maybe you should rely on annuals for a little while.
That is what I did and my garden is pretty nice with lots of shade and plants that I enjoy.
I hope you will enjoy our weather with the good and bad that comes with it.

Thumbnail by RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Good advice, Rodica.

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Speaking from experience, I would suggest that you first plan and install the "hardscape" that you really want. Once that is in, you can get some trees/big shrubs planted that will offer some badly needed shade to part shade for life in our area. The shade or light shade will dramatically increase the number of different kinds of plants that you are able to grow well here and will increase the length of time they will grow and survive.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

You'll only be able to grow perinneals for a few winter months South facing. It will be scorching by May.

Prescott, AZ

There are all sorts of fun plants that ONLY grow in the low desert! I strongly suggest spending some time at Desert Botanical Garden (Phoenix), and maybe look into some of their classes. Boyce-Thompson Arboretum in Superior is also a good place to get ideas and plants. Keep an open mind about what you like best, maybe try some plants to attract butterflies and hummingbirds, look into natives, and Aloes, and all kinds of things that will be quite different from Wisconsin. Have fun with it, and good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.