15 yr old white lilac sickly

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

About 2/3 of this tree has pale limp leaves. The remaining branches and trunks dark green leaves. Do you think I should cut the sick parts Off?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You should examine your plant for Lilac borer. If it is evident, then take steps to make sure it does not attack the remaining healthy parts of your plant.

Images posted here would be helpful as well...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

lilac borer? I will research that. will see if I can post a photo.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a photo of a branch of the sick lilac bush. There are no tiny holes @ the base of the trunk(s) suggesting borers. I took a sample to local garden store and the 1st guess was stress due to hot weather. Only 2-3 of the 9 trunks/off shoots of this shrub are sick. So then he guessed a root disease. I treated it w/ Bayer product for disease. I noticed this AM another lilac on the other side of the yard is showing same thing. 1/3 of the bush trunks are sick.

Thumbnail by anastatia
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Pseudomonas syringae?

Resin

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I looked up pseudomonas syringae. Yep, it sure looks like it. We had a very cold winter and I lost several plants. Late spring we had heavy rain w/ winds.
I will cut off all affected (effected?) trunks. The article from Oregon State Univ. suggests burning the contaminated portions. We are in the midst of a hot dry spell. Burning is not allowed anyway.
I will do more research.

Thank you Resin for this suggestion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.