Peaches and cream

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Corn is starting to tassels,after just 6 weeks planted,and really surprised as we had a 33* hard freeze for 4 hours when corn had just germinated and was only couple inches tall,they laid over for a day or two before going back upright.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is such a flavorful corn variety. Have you grown it before?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes last year,doesn't get any sweeter than this,altho I have a variety called sugar dots,this will be my first year growing it,reviews say it to is very sweet,

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've had that one and it's fantastic too. Really, both are great bicolors. Fortunately the large farm gardens around us grow and sell lots of corn. Some post "Take your produce and leave the money in the jar" signs at their roadside tables. It's nice to be able to taste different varieties without expending growing space and the fertilizer to grow it. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I would like to try all the sweet corn varieties,heck fresh field corn taste mighty good,when you pick it at the right time!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never grown corn before because I always thought it took a lot of room. What's the spacing between plants/rows? Is there such a thing as "dwarf" corn?! And about how many ears would you get from one stalk? I'd love to grow it. There's nothing better than fresh sweet corn in summer! Well, except all my other favorites...😛 thanks for any info you can share. I live in zone 9a, west Houston in a neighborhood.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Quote from bariolio :
I've never grown corn before because I always thought it took a lot of room. What's the spacing between plants/rows? Is there such a thing as "dwarf" corn?! And about how many ears would you get from one stalk? I'd love to grow it. There's nothing better than fresh sweet corn in summer! Well, except all my other favorites...😛 thanks for any info you can share. I live in zone 9a, west Houston in a neighborhood.

I grow my corn in 2 raised beds, 4x8, and get quite a lot from it for just the 2 of us. I plant pretty intensely, 8" staggered in 5 rows. But a fertilizer a lot. Most stalks had 2 ears. I got over 100 ears! After I froze about 30 bags of 2 cups each, I started giving the remainder to neighbors!

So you can grow a lot of corn in small spaces.
Jo-Ann

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

My corn patch is about 20x20 ft.I plant about every foot a part and spacing between rows about foot and half,peaches and cream grows to about 4 ft tall,I usually get 2 ears on the first picking,then about week later get a second picking of at least one more ear,I tend to give more water and fertilizer when I see the corn starting to set the ears on.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! Sounds like I could try it next summer. I'll have time to read up on it & prepare.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.