Need Help/Advice

Arlington, TX

So I rebuilt my tiny patio pond (less than 300 gallons still) and I want to put back the miniature water lily I have. The pot is full of clay and rock and the water lily looks to have about 3-4 separate plants or growing points. It is a small plant so how big should the pot be (pots probably as it looks like I need to divide it) and what kind of aquatic soil works well and won't get all over?

Here is a pic of the small pond, still a work in progress....

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Athens, PA

You could split out each growing point into 3 separate pots. I always liked to use the rinsed pea gravel. I know others like to use the unscented clay kitty litter. I think a lot is personal preference as to the planting medium.

Arlington, TX

So no "dirt", just pea gravel?

Athens, PA

I don't use dirt and I know a lot of others use the clay kitty litter.....

so, it really isn't necessary.

Arlington, TX

What size pot or what kind of pot do you use? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am tired of a messy pond and I want less cleaning overall.

Athens, PA

You can buy pots for waterlilies - a 12" pot works well.

https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/product.php?productid=16805

Columbus, OH

The best and cheapest containers I found for water lilies are the black plastic oil change pans at Lowe's. Search for "MacCourt 26-in x 20-in High Density Polyethylene Small Black All Purpose Tub" on Lowe's site. They are nice and roomy and are the perfect depth for water lily tubers.

I use actual purchased "aquatic soil" (fired clay) found at the plants stores. One brand is "Pondcare Aquatic Planting Media". It's a little costly but I have koi and don't want to risk killing them if I were to use the wrong brand of cat litter. We tried using the clay soil we dug up from our yard and it really clouded up the water badly. Some folks use it to great results, though.

If you have koi too, consider poking/burning a hole in the tub to tie your tubers in with. I learned this the hard way after having my koi dig them up numerous times. ha ha!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The few plants I still have are in 2 gal. or larger pots and above water level. I have vegetarian fish and the buggers eat about everything they get their mouths on. All I have left in floating pots are sweet flag. Some umbrella palms which I tie up to keep them from falling into pond. I also wire sweet flag to bottom of the pots or they would probably wreck them too. I've also used the plain old nursery pots large plants came in and poke hole in bottom of them to fasten plants in. My son made me a nice floating island from 4 wired tog. aquatic plant pots but the big koi decided to jump into it and down it went. My fish must be extremely bored cause they sure get into everything. Have a plastic fountain on 1/2" PVC pipe on a base and they push that all over the place so water often ends up splashing out of pond. Good thing I check it every morning and push it back to center of pond.
I just put plants in pots with rocks and make them heavy cause they will also knock them over I learned. I put some plants inside of a hula hoop with screen sewn around the frame thinking that would protect plants. It did until they decided to jump in with the plants and couldn't figure out how to get out.
I'm beginning to think they are a lot smarter than me cause they always seem to outsmart whatever I try to have decent looking plants.
Someone posted a round plant holder around a large fountain in center of her pond and I printed it all out and plant to try that next. I'll bet they will jump into that to but worth the try.

Newton your pond is very attractive and I wish you luck with it.
Bonnie

Arlington, TX

Almost finished and the plants are doing well. The liner is so much better than the trough. I can see it from my kitchen door and it's adjacent to my little patio. So much joy from a muddy puddle!
I ended up leaving the water lily in its original container and just put in some fert. tabs. I think its way too hot here to divide it this late in the year.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know the best way to re-paint my flamingos? Should I sand or just wire brush? Is there really a paint that can be used over rust? They are old and somewhat delicate so I don't want to break them. Still they need some paint and some protection to last a while longer.

Athens, PA

Love your pond. I have no idea about the flamingos though - can you get rid of any paint that may be peeling and spray paint them?

Columbus, OH

@newtonsthirdlaw, I've refinished a lot of metal this year and I recommend a combo of sandpaper a very stiff wire brush, wiping off the freshly sanded surface, spraying the surface with a product that neutralizes rust (it's type of dilute acid, available at most paint shops), then of course priming and repainting.

I did this process with a fairly delicate vintage wrought iron trellis and it worked out great.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Ospo is great on metal items. Rust will disappear plus you can wire brush it. Looks just like water works great. We had to do it on a galv. roof and it worked out great.

Your pond looks great!!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Corsetiere, Bought all the parts to make rings to hold plants. Kind of pricey but I'm hoping it will work. Got see-through tubing and everybody said it wouldn't float so I plugged the ends up and threw it into pond overnight and it's still floating. Bought a role of plastic wire and that is light weight.
I'm anxious to make it but have a couple of projects that have to be done first.

If it doesn't work first time I'll try other materials. I really like the concept.

Bonnie

Arlington, TX

I have used clear tubing. It floats just fine as long as no water gets in the ring. I'm using left over pump hose this year and that works too. Make sure the point of connection is water tight and it won't sink.

Arlington, TX

Planting is done! I just need to brave the heat and add some mulch. Still haven't tackled the flamingos yet...

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Wonder if you could use Naval Jelly on the flamingoes?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Went back to Lowes plumbing dept. and nice guy in there found me 2 gray plastic 2 way joiners which he said if I put them in far enough pipe will never take on water. Yipee.

Love what you have done with your pond. Flamingoes will look great guarding it.

Bonnie D.

Columbus, OH

Ospo! Yeah,Bonnie, that is what it is called! Was wracking my brain for the name. lol!

Bonnie, it should float fine. You saw how small the diameter of my tubing was and it is doing well.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

So glad I can remember some things. Some days it drives me nuts (nuttier) trying to remember even where I put my tools. I painted the tops of the handles bright orange to help find them if I leave them out of my rolling garden tool holder and around the gardens.

At 77 I have committed a lot of things to memory and some days I think I should be committed if you get my drift.

Got to go feed my fishies. Proud to say in smaller pond I now have 2 that I can feed food right into their mouths. Large fish will never be that tame I don't think cause we got them when they were already 2 feet or larger. They are very casual eaters. Just float around and eat as they go. Smaller pond is always feeding frenzy.

Corset, considering there are 2 sections of pipe on outside and inside I really think it will gloat fine and if not I will amend it somehow. I think your idea is great.

Happy Ponding All,
Bonnie D.

Columbus, OH

Heh! I hope I can be so spry when I am 77. If it makes you feel any better, I lose my tools all the time too. :D

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Loosing tools around the garden does give you a good walking workout.

First time ever honestly I have misplaced my prescription sun glasses. I'm hoping I find them.
That's a $250. replacement cost. Think I'll just get some at Walgreens until next eye exam.

Visited 3 docs. offices with my husb. and they could be at any of them also plus a restaurant.
I feel like a jerk. Oh well could be worse.

Bonnie D.

Athens, PA

Bonnie - I am always forgetting where I am leaving things too. One time work sent me to a seminar in NJ and I misplaced the key to the rental car. I had to have the car towed to a dealership and a new key made, which cost me $400. Work was not too crazy about the idea of reimbursing my credit card the $400, but surprisingly they did. I never did find that key - I think I left it somewhere in a mall in NYC.

I have lost my glasses a number of times too. Hate wearing those things.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

My last work episode....I had 8 15 passenger vans rented in VA, headed to Baltimore, and left 1 van behind. Couldn't figure out for 3 days why we had to squash kids in so tightly! :) Ooops!

Athens, PA

That is funny!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

At least you didn't forget the kids M. Mary. People have been doing that a lot around here lately and in this heat you know what happens.

There were times when I threatened to flush my 4 kids down the toilet bowl but I had one comedian (Jeff) that reminded me they would plug it up. I think they call that comic relief which he and I are pretty good at. Used to get me out of lots of trouble in school.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.