hostas in sun

Louisville, KY

when I moved last year from a very shady garden I had to put all my hostas in a strip between my house and the one next door. I have 31 different kinds, golds, greens, white and green. As spring came on I noticed the strip was getting a bit of afternoon sun, now in June it gets 2 full hours between 2 and 4 plus some morning and some late sun. There are ferns, impatiens, lenten roses, and caladiums planted in between. All are doing very well, no sun burn, no melt out. The ferns and such are doing well too. This is in Louisville, Ky.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I planted a couple of my small ones on the back side of the trailer where I am trying to get another flower bed started and they also get sun but are also doing very nicely. Kathy

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I lost some shade in one corner of my garden when a trash truck knocked down a street tree. Undulata and another NOID green and white survived the extra sun beautifully but Gold Standard fried and I had to move it. I have to move a NOID blue which has been fading in the extra sun it is getting in another spot, but Elvis Lives does happily with about 3-4 hours of mid-day sun daily. Depends on your site, and your hosta.
Martha

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

It's also very early in the year. The long hot days of summer can really affect your hosta planting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.