fertilzer conversion question

Decatur, GA

Hi all. I am trying to turn dry(granules) MG into liquid MG by adding the dry into the liquid MG container that is now empty. The question is how much of the granulated MG to add the empty 32oz container so I get the same concentration of nutrients.
To keep things simple I add a rounded TBSP to 2 gallons of water. The liquid MG is 4 tsp per 2 gallons.
And the other factor is the % of the nutrients is different between the two products. You can see it on the label/picture. I hope they are clear enough.
I did my best and came out with 21/2 cups granules to the 32oz container would make the liquid dose 4tsp/2gallons for use. BUT I don't have too much confidence I did the math correctly.
I anyone willing to help? Any math whiz' out there?
Thanks.
Helen
PS. The granules are so hydrophilic that to keep an open bag on the porch to mix periodically in the watering can is very messy since it gets all wet.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm really squinting here, but it looks like the solid %s might be 24-8-16.
The liquid concentrate seems to say 12-4-?

When in doubt, go by the "N" number, since it is usually the highest % and also N is the most toxic if you over-fertilize.

Anyway, if I see the numbers correctly, the solid is 24% N and the liquid concentrate is 12% N.

So I would say to dilute the solid 1:1 with water to wind up with a liquid at the same strength as your old liquid concentrate bottle was.

But measuring solid granules by volume means you're measuring a lot of air along with the granules. Probably the label says, somewhere, "% by weight".

32 oz of water is two pints, so it would weigh 2.08 pounds ("a pint's a pound the world 'round". A concentrated fertilizer solution would be denser than pure water, so let's call it 2.2 pounds of concentrate.

So weigh out 1.1 pounds of granules, and dissolve it with enough hot water to fill your 32 oz jug. (Post offices often have self-service kiosks with a good scale.)

I'm guessing that your "2 1/2 cups" were pretty close. If the granules-plus-air are 20% lighter than water, you were right on.

If you only have access to a metric scale, 1.1 pounds is 500 grams.

P.S. I used to make up concentrates like that, and worried that some rare micronutrient might not be soluble enough to stay in solution in cold water. So I would make them up at half strength or 1/4 strength, and use 2 or 4 times more of the concentrate.

Plus, it might be easier to measure 5/6 of a fluid ounce than 2 1/2 tsp. "A scant ounce" .

You used 2 1/2 tsp of liquid concentrate per 2 gallons?
1/2 strength - use 5 tsp / 2 gal - - (just under once ounce = just under 2 tblsp)
1/4 strength - use 10 tsp / 2 gal - - 1 2/3 ounce per two gallon

1/2 strength = 0.55 pounds = 8.8 ounces of weight = 250 grams
1/4 strength = 4.4 ounces of weight = 125 grams

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Rick's the man!

Decatur, GA

Thank you Rick. I think my thinking matches yours! So I have a bit more confidence in proceeding.
Helen

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

You're very welcome, and thank YOU.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.