DJ9'S JULY IRIS SWAP

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

ok Time to share our Irises once again . If you want just Named Irises Please say so , if your open for a few NoID also say so .

If you would like to to Join us & i don't have your addy please send info .

sign closes :June 30 th

Just like to say if you have no irises to share & you would like a few
please feel free to join us . There maybe a couple of us that would be happy to share for other type of plants , just say if you have no irises for trade .

Hope you can join us .

Thumbnail by deejay9

SAVED

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Sign me up DJ :)
Named or not doesn't matter to me. :)
I have some Iris, Mostly noid, some heritage, but I have a lot of other plants to share as well.
I will have lots of SDBs in the future, hopefully. Thanks to Susie!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 5:24 PM

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Susie, I have never had irises before this last year and I love them. So having never thought about this type of swap, I have several questions.
All types? Walking, African, Bearded, etc?
Do I have to have lots?
This is probably a dumb one, I am already in the super heat of summer, can I divide and share? And the second dumb one, will irises that do well up north do ok here?

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

sign me up susie.. My TBIs are just beginning to finish up this year.. and am marking whats where in the border as best I can...lol. Love the Iris trade...thanks!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

WWKathy, so glad you signed up I am so enjoying my Amaryllis, it was stunning, as well as the Ski Run, can't wait for the others to bloom next year. I have a lot of Clarence, Dawn of Change, Crimson King, Lent A Williamson, Jungle Song, Seneca Pink Delight, Immortality, Queen's Circle, also my siberian crosses have started flowering so I have short and tall unregistered but lovely none the less. I have just started adding the dwarf short ones, I love that they are the first to bloom and open the iris season. Wish I had more of Space Cadet but I have already shared it for this year.
Edited to say sign me up, please. I'd really like Superstition and any dwarf shorties, named or unnamed.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 10:40 AM

Winnetka, CA

Good morning all,

I don't have any iris to share this year... but I do have some gorgeous deep red amaryllis if anyone is interested. Mittsy... I love that Seneca Pink Delight and Queens Circle... just googled them -they're gorgeous! I'd love to have some of those colors in the garden... the white is so pretty! Actually I may have a couple of coffee colored iris... but I have to do some digging... they seem to be overwhelmed by a large lantana! -:)

The amaryllis is such a beautiful deep red and so healthy (the bulbs are good size) but getting too dense for the area it is growing in... I am happy to trade/share if anyone is interested. Nancy

OK Nancy I'm willing. I can use the deep red Amaryllis in Florida. Could you post a picture?

Welcome all I Hope I can Answer your Q's

Joy: U Do not have to have allot of Irises ,& Yes most irises
Irises will survive in most climates, most grow in zones 3-8
so if your in those zones you should be able to grow them . ok :)

also joy anytime after the irises are done blooming they can be moved.
& all types are excepted . & usually we say 1-2 toes or RHIZOMES
of each iris.

so Mittsy & Nf2932 are you doing a swap now or want to be partners for July?

if i have for a Q please reask sorry i have had to pop up & down the last 20 mins while trying to type this ,

NANNY23
ROUXCREW
WWKATHY
MITTSY
NF2932

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh cool I just read the details so I can join... I would take NOID and named..

I only have a few NOID.. but can send other plants to. I will stuff a box. No sense and sending a half empty box!

Ok I will play. I have several heirloom irises rustled from old abandoned homesteads and several that were given to me. I am a newbie with them, but I am thrilled to have them grow well for me.
Awesome, to try a new swap.

Joy

Our swap is separate from this one, sort of an extra, if you will.

Winnetka, CA

Mittsy...

I uploaded some photos... I had one photo on my iphone and took a snapshot of that to zoom for you... the photos don't do the color justice... it's actually a deeper red. It's so pretty when several are blooming simultaneously and my hummingbirds are drawn to the color... they hover... it's really cool...

Susie... whatever Mittsy decides is ok with me.

Nancy

Thumbnail by NF2932 Thumbnail by NF2932

Joy, you are a girl after my own heart! I have been known to rustle a few plants from abandoned property. ;)

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 5:30 PM

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol oh dear, not sure what im getting into but I can do this swap, HOWEVER I DONT HAVE ANY IRISES TO TRADE. That being said, HOPEFULLY my partner has an UPDATED want list so I can accomodate her. About the only Irises I have are what Susie/ Bonnie from Oakhill DLs/ and what I bought from Blomma, all just planted so Im sorry they are getting established atm. Susie is it ok to talk to my partner? Iv have enough in the past that dont chat, talk about what they like blah blah. Id really like to send them something they want! I have lucked out with a couple that I talk to and can send them what theyve told me like. Id like to continue that on if I can :D xx big hearts

You will appreciate this picture from February when my apple blossom amaryllis bloomed. It is in a raised bed garden at the condo. Tiny garden but full of exotics. Love my banana trees.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Amanda as soon as others get signed up & I know who your partner will be I promise you can chat :) all you want with her or him :)
Thank you Mittsy This helps me so that I don't set ya up with the same partner.

also if anyone else want to do a side trade please let me know .
I have a slight head cold & sore throat as of today ,been resting all afternoon seems to getting worse the more meds i try ,so no more home remedies except rest going back to bed .

zoey just came in to remind me of her birthday party tomorrow & when i said i was sick she gave me a hug & told me to go to bed she will come make my breakfast , whatta kid :) Gn all back in the morning .

NANNY23
ROUXCREW
WWKATHY
MITTSY
NF2932
JOKENNA
BADCAT

Galien, MI

Hi Suzie, sign me up! I only have two TB types, one (probably) W.J. Fryer (antique), and a pale blue NOID. I have pictures of both. I can also trade 1-2 small white lilac start for iris. I love Japanese, siberian, but TB are great, too. I may have enough of those irises to do two swaps.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 7:10 PM

Susie, sorry you are not feeling well. Take care and feel better soon. Maybe a hot toddy would do you some good?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh mama, feel better!!! Xo

Galien, MI

Found my pics.

Thumbnail by beakerlj Thumbnail by beakerlj
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Susie - sign me up! I have NOID's to share - bearded iris and siberian iris......and I'll also fill the box up with other plants for my partner! Badcat - I love to chat with my partners....it always works out better to find out what they really want/desire! My only named iris are from this swap last year...it's been soooo fun seeing the blooms this year! I am excited to swap again! I can take a partner that has no iris to trade and another one that does...I have plenty to swap if anyone wants NOIDs.

GM & Welcome all : Wow this is going to be a very interesting swap :)
well I Have a full blown Head cold so forgive if i do not get on allot today .
Just know if you want to join us I will get your name added as soon as i get signed back on . ya all have a great day .

NANNY23
ROUXCREW
WWKATHY
MITTSY
NF2932
JOKENNA
BADCAT
BEAKERIJ
ALIKAT32

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Make some tomato tea :) Tom Juice, garlic, salt, pepper, lotsa hot sauce. heat up in a sauce pan. Always makes me feel a little better. Head colds are aweful! I remember having one so bad I tried snorting black pepper cause I was so desperate to sneeze and relieve the pressure lol dont try that.

Aye Aye AliKaptain, completely agree. :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Susie...I can do atleast 2 trades....hmmmm, maybe sign me up for 3..... lol, I have lots to share!!!

Mittsy..isn't that one gorgeous!!! I divided it and now have many of this one to share.... did you remember to smell it? Just like Jasmine, mine are in full bloom now and most of my others are winding up their season... (wanna trade for some of your named?) LOL, (staking my claim...)

So I'll have a mix of named and unnamed, if I can find one named only trade, I'ld love it..if not I'll mix the no names And mittsy...if you want a trade partner for named.....lol (hint).. Kathy

Ps. I don't mind sending a large box for a few plants....so don't worry, but if (whomever) gets me as a trade partner let me know how many you can handle...........especially with the noids (most of my tags got washed away a few years ago, downhill and pooof gone...hence noids).

This message was edited Jun 21, 2014 9:47 AM

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, I've changed my mind. Twist my arm. My family members will be very upset if they learn I'm taking some of their birthday gift money to buy plants for this trade.

I have a few NOID irises. I'll supplement them with a few purchased irises so you any partner I get won't get shorted.

Most of my plants are from recent trades so I don't have must in my yard available for trade.

NF2932, Nancy, I'd love a side trade for your amaryllis. I sent you a D-mail. I think I have a few seeds that are on your wish list. If not, let me know what you're interested in and I'll find it.

Winnetka, CA

Quote from mittsy :
You will appreciate this picture from February when my apple blossom amaryllis bloomed. It is in a raised bed garden at the condo. Tiny garden but full of exotics. Love my banana trees.

Oh Mittsy... that appleblossom is gorgeous! I have been looking online this year for a pink one to plant near my red for contrast... I am in pink/lavender color mode this year... funny how colors grab your attention. Thanks for sharing the photo... btw...I am a native New Yorker... born and raised in Long Island... my brother still lives in Ulster County in the village of Ellenville. -:)

Sylvia... I sent you a dmail this morning.

Nancy

afternoon took a sinus tab this morning feeling much better. but thanks for the homemade recipe got it filed x the pepper idea not a Snorter here :).

Sylvia : please you do not have to pay out for the irises for your partner
whomever they might be for the cost of one iris you can send to anyone of us that have loads of irises to share I have so many I cannot get them all in the ground they are in pots yet. I'm sure Between Mittsy , kathy or myself
if any of you want to fill your gardens as we did , just send the rate of postage . & within a couple yrs you will be sharing those with others who are starting out . :)
stop & figure if you pay $4-7 dollar per iris& 4 Irises is going to cost $16.-$28.plus shipping to give to someone else thats not what our swaps are about .

I don't mean to step on any toes here just trying to keep our swaps
so that the New members are not going over our $20. -$25. since postage has gone up :))) so just ask anyone :)

well i have to go stick my head in on the party girl , & make sure no one or the kids are not in my gardens GRRRRR :) ya all have a fun day BBL

FYI. I find my Amaryllis at Ace hardware after Christmas sale. They mark the gift boxed sets down to ten dollars. The box contains pot, planting medium and a HUGE bulb.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

I agree Susie.....I've filled my gardens with everything from these swaps and I have tons to share.... :) The DL swap we did was also amazing! I got a gift card to a local nursery from a student last year....so I thought - let's get another daylily....I couldn't believe the price! For the price of one large plant there -- I can trade a large box and get many many DL's....swapping is the best and I'm happy I can participate!

Not to mention how much better, in a lot of cases, the plants are from gardeners who love to garden versus the big wholesalers who don't always get the cultivars right. My Gooseneck Loosestrife is filling out with white buds, a nice large clump. It is going to be gorgeous. i can't take any pictures until I do some more weeding around it. Another surprise today is a white Siberian that will be blooming for the first time. Can't wait until it opens.

Gm all I'm already getting my irises ready to share :))) good day to do them :)
can hardly wait for this one :))))
tell me how many you want to do or let us know if you want a box for postage .
On many of mine that say lost tag there are pictures of them on my photobucket where you can find the name i just never took the time to do this .

DEEJAY9----2-3
NANNY23
ROUXCREW
WWKATHY---3
MITTSY
NF2932
JOKENNA
BADCAT
BEAKERIJ
ALIKAT32

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Susie - I can do 2

Nanny, my husband cringes when he is with me in the boonies. I keep a short shovel and plastic bags in my HHR just in case I find an opportunity to rescue/rustle. Two of my antique roses are from old cemeteries that I snipped cuttings. When I travel as a stockdog judge, I try and bring back something from the area if I can. That way it has meaning. Last year in CA I picked up some Naked Lady Amaryllis that were being thrown out. They were growing in a ditch and had been dug out just before I passed by. They thought I was crazy but I had never seen such gorgeous blooms.
Most of my garden is from RUs, swaps, trades, and other DG gifts. I could have never afforded to go from zero to garden without them. That is how I got my irises, I was saying how much I loved irises before I hosted a RU and BOOM, everyone brought me irises unasked.
All of mine are NOID, but loved nonetheless. I also have other heirloom bulbs and plants to trade.
NOIDs are fine with me, and I love TBI.
Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, I love Irises. I'm not sure I can manage this swap right now, but I still have a week to decide. ;-)

Ocean Springs, MS

I don't have any irises except Louisiana yellow and purple, plus walking iris. I'd love to join the swap and any kind of iris is fine with me! I'd pay postage if anyone would like to share some! Thanks, julie

This message was edited Jun 22, 2014 9:59 AM

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Susie, thanks for letting me know the rules. I won't go out and buy any irises. I wasn't aware they are so expensive, even on sale. Most of the reputable online nurseries have sold out of all spring bulbs.

I do have lots of a single cultivar NOID Japanese iris. I also have one German iris that I can divide if anyone is interested.

I am interested in any offers of plants for postage. Just D-Mail me. This is awesome :-).

Joy, That is Great that you rescue unwanted flowers. A dream come true for me! I rescue all manner of living things! Plants included.
I don't have a lot of different varieties of Iris, but as I said before, I do have LOTS of plants. I can send pics of all the Iris as well as most of the other plants that I have to anyone who is interested.
I have two good sized clumps of Naked Ladies that originated from my Grandmother,and my TBI are from her as well. She was always giving me plants and now that she is gone, I cherish those that remain, they are a cheerful reminder of her passion for growing things. :)

I have a beautiful iris blooming today, I have no idea what type it is or what it's cultivar is. I just know it is beautiful. If I post a picture and you like it, I can include some. I had it for three years before it bloomed for me, but now it blooms every year right after the Siberian and before the Japanese. I thought it was a yellow Japanese iris Aichi No something. I'll try to get a picture today.

Joy those pink ones are very pretty wish they would grow here but sure i would have to store for winter & I just don't have the room .

syvia YW we all love to have new irises but many have to take care of our pocketbooks this is why we do these trades. :)we share what we have
or what we can :).

anyway we have the following who would like to get a box for postage
& do a reg trade am i right or wrong .

Froggie
elfie
shorty-- getting box from me--- med FR

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.