FIRST FLOWERS OF SUMMER!!! Yay it's finally here!!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sweet :) it's summa time! Let's see those pretty summer blossoms!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1363847/

- our first dahlia of the season and also the product of my first attempt at overwintering tubers
- NOID astilbe
- Nice Front yard garden pic
- our first xeric bloom of the season, Sphaeralcea munroana
- expanded view of our Sweetbay Mag

This message was edited Jun 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Everything looks great! Your Sweetbay Magnolia is going to make a beautiful screen.

Your Dahlia did just fine, didn't it? I never dig mine up. I don't want to take the time to do it, and any tubers I dig up die anyway.

What are the flowers in your middle photo? I recognize the Rose Campion - I got one from Greenthumb - boy does that pink pop out in the pic!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That is what i LOVE about the Rose Campion...It POPS!
And you never notice the stems.

I have loads and loads of seeds from this.....G.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

very nice Seq!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I know most people wish they had more sun, so they can grow "all those beautiful flowers", but I tell ya, when I see pics like Jeff's Astilbe up there, I wish I had more shade!!! Those are such BEAUTIFUL Astilbe Jeff, I love 'em!! That lighter pink one is all frothy and airy - just gorgeous!!!!! I think this Fall will be the perfect time for me to do some addition-ing to my back shady container area... so I can plant some of those shady things I want IN THE GROUND around the tables. The calls from the Astilbe and Tiarella and Heuchera are calling me so loudly, it's getting impossible to ignore them! < =/

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree--that is gorgeous astilbe, Seq! Definitely more bloomful than mine. What kind of sun does it get?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm with you Speedie, I just love shade plants.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

IMO, you can grow great plants in sun, part sun, or shade, it doesn't matter. Dense shade is a little harder but there are things out there. That astilbe is pretty much a no namer that I got at a local nursery in a quart pot. I have 3 in that bed. There's a white one but it's getting crowded by other stuff and I need to walk into the bed to see it. The red one hasn't bloomed yet. This guy gets dappled shade mid-day and bright shade early and late in the day.

My dahlias got lifted in the fall and stored over winter. They rot in the ground if you don't pull them up unless you're zone 8 or higher. I have 11 dahlias, 4 of which were over wintered. The other 7 are new purchases from Swan Island this spring. I will be overwintering those too.

As far as what plants are in the middle pic: big yellow flowers are heliopsis helianthoides, the pink ball shaped flower on the lower left is centranthus ruber (a new addition), white flower above the RC is gaura, yellow flower bottom right is Anthemis tinctoria Kelwayi, and pink flower lower right is Penstemon.

Seq, you have blooming anthemis tinctoria already? Mine is still small--sort of at the toddler/young child stage.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Mine are a first year plant bought from Bluestone. Maybe they were artificially advanced since they were in a greenhouse? It's been in the ground since early May. It's kind of floppy and I expected more of a contained plant. Maybe it will straighten itself out next summer when it grows from dormancy in the garden.

How did the A. tinctoria seedlings I gave you do, Seq? I know seedlings can be difficult to transplant...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Cat, they're doing pretty well. I won't plant them until they get much bigger. Right now they are about 1/2" tall. I have too many plants in pots right now but when I widdle some down I'm going to give them more sun. This way I can concentrate on them more when the other plants are gone. Hopefully that will be after this weekend. But they are still alive and well.

Glad to hear the seedlings are still doing okay, Seq. Mine are continuing to grow, although slowly:

I'm hoping that next year it creates a very nice clump for me!

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, yours are looking nice! There are some other seedlings and cuttings I'm taking care of so they are checked daily and tended to.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cat--can i ask you a favor----
When you talk about your plants, could you also include the common names?
I would like to be able to follow along as to what plant you are talking about...

Muchas Gracias----G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry G! I do that too. In some cases I legitimately don't know the common names. I'll try to keep that in mind for future posts :)

Of course Gita--sorry about that. usually I do but in this case forgot. The common name for Anthemis tinctoria is Golden Marguerite. I got the seeds for it early this spring because it is a perennial that attracts many beneficial insects.

Cooler today, thank goodness. Blooms are growing bloomier by the day. :-)

1) Snapshot of several blooms
2) Daylily 'Happy Returns'
3) Pentas and Agastache 'Purple Haze'
4) Daylily 'Happy Returns' and Coneflower 'Raspberry Truffle'
5) Snapshot of several blooms

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906

Went shutter happy in the garden today! Everything is getting so tall and bloomeriferous...

1) Pink evening primrose from Gita--it lost all its blooms when I first planted it, but now it's back blooming again! Definitely a winner, Gita!
2) Marguerite Daisy 'Butterfly', yarrow, and others
3) Alpine catchfly from Joyanna in full bloom
4) Verbena 'Lollipop' with Wood Betony (Stachys officinalis) and others in the background
5) Agastache 'Tutti Frutti' (yes, I broke down and replaced it!!) with Daisy 'Butterfly' and yarrow in the background

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Cat, you sure do have a lot going on!!! I really like that verbena. I used to have one but it's not hardy for our zone so it died. I like the 3rd pic in your first set. It's nice to see their shadows over the driveway, very pretty :)

thanks, Sec! These photos are all from my sun beds in the back yard. There is a sizeable patio area back there and the sun beds are along 2 sides of the patio. So that is actually the back patio in photo #3 of the first series! Sure wish I could cultivate around my driveway, but the driveway is squished between my house including a little bit of lawn area on one side, and the neighbor's property line on the other side. It's frustrating because this is the eastern exposure side of my house, and it is basically unusable for gardening for me because it is all taken up with a longer than necessary driveway.

Yes a lot going on--I guess I tend to go for the cottage garden look--LOL! :-) There are herbs intermingled everywhere with the perennials. I love the fragrance and of courses it invites beneficial insects, but I've been wondering if other butterflies besides cabbage white avoid areas with herbs... Lots of bees in my garden this year but fewer butterflies than last year.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from Sequoiadendron4 :

My dahlias got lifted in the fall and stored over winter. They rot in the ground if you don't pull them up unless you're zone 8 or higher. I have 11 dahlias, 4 of which were over wintered.

Thanks for the i.d.s, Seq - again, everything looks great !

To challenge the conventional wisdom that Dahlia tubers must be dug up in Zone 7: Granted, I only have one because between the deer and the slugs, they are high maintenance, but...I have never dug up the one I have (which has been in ground for maybe 10 years ) and it survived last winter just fine. I covered it with about 2 inches of mulch.

Muddy, I think you, Donner, and I have the same attitude about leaving borderline bulbs in the ground. We're probably in warmer microclimates so we can get away with it. Donner's the one who told me she leaves calla lilies in the ground. I'll post a pic of the calla lily bloom in a minute.

1. Mystery volunteer! Anyone recognize it?

2. Kim's Knee High coneflower. Third year in the garden, first time it's looked decent.

3. I have no idea what this hosta is but I love the blooms.

4. Calla lily from Donner in bloom.

5. Clematis Arabella.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

What beautiful blooms, SSG! I especially love the 'mystery volunteer' and the pink coneflower!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree - beautiful !

The mystery looks like a Gaillardia / Indian Blanket cultivar.
Editing because I changed my mind..it looks more like a Rudbeckia cultivar, but i don't know which one.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 9:08 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I was thinking Rudbeckia too---but the name escapes me...

It was a name that these multi- colored ones were know by....
It will come to me as soon as I send this.....

Oh well--gotta love those Sr. moments... G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

The mystery volunteer is a rudbeckia Denver daisy. At least I think so anyway.

I left dahlias in the ground a couple years ago and they all rotted. The ones I had last year were volunteers and I practiced over wintering with them. It was successful so I bought some more. I'm surprised they don't mind being in the ground for you guys.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It does look like a Denver Daisy. I like it - save seeds please ssg : )

Seq, like ssg said, we might have ours growing in warmer micro-climate. Mine is in a southeast-facing bed in a somewhat sheltered location. It might depend on how deep the tubers are planted as well. Mine doesn't have a choice - it's not getting dug up, overwintered and replanted - if it dies it dies!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

The other factor in overwintering in the ground is excellent drainage. Too much moisture = rot.

Jeff, you got it again!

I read that Denver Daisy was an award winning "annual" and sowed a packet of seeds last year. I got pretty poor germination so I gave up. I think this is the spot where I dumped some of the duds! I actually had more volunteers with similar looking leaves that I had to pull up because they were in awkward spots.

I will definitely save the seeds this year. I'll have plenty at the winter seed swap. :)

I'm still confused about whether it's an annual, biennial, or perennial.

I've read totally conflicting info about that, too, SSG. All I can tell you is that I planted a Denver daisy last summer and it either came up again or re-seeded itself this year.

It has buds now but still waiting for the blooms...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

The one I had a few years ago acted like an annual. Very pretty though, I love the face on it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

A few newish things...

1--Sally--this is just for yoy--a dynamite combo of colors.
Petunia--Pineapple Wizard Coleus ans Careless Love Coleus.

2--Corner of my YUK bed

3--"Forever Susan" Asiatic Lily.. A woman named Susan at the HD gave this to me.

4--Both Chinese Regale Lilies blooming now. The scent is heavenly!

5--This tucked in corner is where i dug up the clumps of Stellas & Tete-a-tetes
that I gave away at the Swap. This is between/behind the Carpet Rose and the
big Juniper shrub. See corner of house picture above.

Here I planted a fern (not up yet) that I dug up by the Bird Bath, a jack Frost Brunnera,
Some Jap. painter fern, and an Osteospermum Daisy. All better now!

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last Wednesday, I bought a Rose at HD. Could NOT help it. $20!!!!

It is a slightly crooked "First Prize" Rose..I will plant it straighter-- soon.
I am excited--as it has about 5 buds on it. One already showing color.

-It is one I owned long ago
-It is the one with the most beautiful picture of a Rose I ever took
--It is the one that hung in...and hung in...with a single, puny stem for the
last couple years. Then it finally died--and I pulled it up.

I just want to own this Rose again!

1--Here is the rose---looks better already...

2--Here are the buds on it....

3--And there is the photo from 2006 when this tiny Rose bloomed. My famous picture!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice flowers G! That YUK bed is looking nice 😃

That is a gorgeous rose Gita! And your yuk bed should be renamed to pretty bed! :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes! cat---when everything in it is in bloom--it is gorgeous!

My DL's have yet to bloom...most of the left side of this bed is ALL Day Lilies...

The whole back section will be Frans Hals DL's. there were piles last summer!

Last July...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

very pretty Gita. And you know I also have a First Prize rose. It is one tough cookie despite the usual bugs and disease, and it DOES make the most perfectly beautiful pink rose.

Sounds like a nice afternoon, Sally. Good you were able to point out the poison ivy to her!

DD and I ended up getting a lot of indoor chores done. Tomorrow I'm hoping to spend the day in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.