A PERFECT SOIL FOR ALL????

East Uniontown, PA

Years ago, stopped at a nursery, landscaping place and noticed a huge pile of topsoil looking material....Asked the owner and he said they use it to install ALL plants and it covers all the bases with the makeup....Bought a big container for 5 bucks and it worked for everything....Guy since left and sold business....Any ideas of makeup of this????

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My guess is that it's a combination of these: thinly chipped pine bark, compost, peat, perlite, and topsoil.

East Uniontown, PA

Thanks so much Sequoia!....I think that "does" have it covered....I do remember him saying the words pine and topsoil, but that was it....I know he had it blended away from the nursery and trucked in....Was just out to see "Moses" on Thursday near you.....Best of luck and muchas gracias!!!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, that's on the other side of town. Is it at Sight and Sound?

East Uniontown, PA

Yepper, that's it!!.....Saw the 245 show.....In the meantime, going to try to get in touch with that nursery guy somehow, somewhere just to try and find out.....I do know he had a guy on grounds who had a masters degree in all this stuff from WVU......He concocted the mix......I'm trying to remember his name too.....By the way, that's a nice "Helen's Flower" there I believe....Eh?....Got two planted in memory of my Mom, Helen....Sneezewood....Right?.....And, I got 2 Coneflower gardens with nearly 30 different types....Or more, haven't counted recently.....Almost all just starting to bloom.....My favorite is PICA BELLA!.....My best!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, I bet that all looks gorgeous in full bloom :)

East Uniontown, PA

I finally tracked down a friend of the guy who used to own that nursery....Here are the ingredients that he used to plant everything in....coco shells(peanut shells),mushroom manure, shredded hardwood mulch, sand, topsoil.....Hmmmmmmmm......Thoughts please!!!!.....Never asked the proportions!!....,Any ideas on that????....Said it worked great...

Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like a good mix! I'm assuming it was mushroom compost he was referring to. I would guess that topsoil and mushroom compost would be of the highest percentages. followed by the solids of hardwood mulch, sand, and coco shells.

East Uniontown, PA

Hello!....Yes!!....It was mushroom compost...As I said, bought a big garbage can of it, charged me 5 bucks, and did some perennial planting with it.....Worked fine as I still have all of them....Hope you're having a great summer, but here in s.w. pa we've had rain, rain and more rain.....Trying to fight the blight on my 10 year old dogwood....It's a beauty, and I don't want to lose it....Take care, Chuck

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh nice! That's a ridiculously good price for something like that. Geez in the stores they'd charge you $5 for a 40lb bag if you're lucky. We've had just enough rain so far this season and I hope it doesn't stop. I'm extremely pleased when I don't have to water anything. No blight problems here though but I hope your Cornus pulls through!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.