Should my Korean Angelica (A. Gigas) have germinated by now?

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello Herb Growers!

I grew Purple Angelica last year, and got a bunch of cool flowers and seed. I sent out a bunch to people who wanted them because I understand that they don't keep well and should be sown immediately. I seeded some in several places but I have yet to see anything sprouting....I'm in Zn 5 (southern NH), and we did have a heck of a bad winter, but I was hoping it would 'self seed' and sprout in the yard on it's own. I'm starting to get concerned now that it's mid-June....Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I r sowed the Angelica gigas last autumn and I already have big plants. We had a very mild winter, so they were early. It depends a bit on how long ago your temperatures went above freezing. They should germinate about 4 weeks after the frost is gone.

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Jonna,

I was afraid of that. They would have been starting by now if that's the case. Darn. I sowed them (in addition to the ones that fell at 'mom's' feet) in several spots right away because I've heard that's the best way to do it. I haven't seen a single seedling anywhere, but we did have a really horrible winter with temps as low as -10F, for exended periods of time. Maybe they can't take that kind of cold.

Thank you for the advice - I'll try again this fall I guess!

J

Ithaca, NY

I see this is an old thread, but am wondering if you solved your problem with your seeds. I do most of my gardening in raised beds here in Ithaca NY, to help with drainage in wet winters. Korean angelica is pretty hardy, and one way of protecting the seed is to do raised beds, some sand mixed in and a layer of mulch to protect. In the spring as temps go up, rake the mulch away being careful not to disturb the regular soil - leaving a little mulch won't hurt. To be honest, I start my seed in doors for anything I really want to be sure of, but lots of things self seed in my garden, and I think the raised beds have a lot to do with it. The seed won't rot if it gets good drainage. Of course I have only been planting this species recently and I bought my plants, but this is what has happened with my other angelica species (angelica archangelica and sinensis).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.