Aquilegia sp. 'Swallowtail"

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have looked in the catalogs for several years at this plant. I bought it last fall. I really like it--especially the long spurs! It started blooming in April and still has blooms.

Thumbnail by birder17
Pittsburgh, PA

It is so unusual. Where did you get it? I love it!

Judy

That's a beauty! Amazing that a plant found in Tucson area can adapt to garden culture.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys. I love it too! I liked it so well; I wanted to share it with the DG members. The picture depicts it very well.
I bought it the year before and the following year, it was loaded with blooms and bloomed for a long time. I have read one can dead head them, and they will continue to bloom, but I didn't. I let it go to seed. I am hoping it will "reseed" around. I believe the seed is suppose to return true to the other plant.
I ordered it from High Country Gardens.

Cindy, this is in Mo.!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Any perennial with 2+ months of blooms gets an extra star! This one, in the right place, would be a knockout, too.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Absolutely!

birder - do you have your 'Swallowtail' planted in full sun?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

No. It's in morning sun and shade after about 2 pm.

Good to know. Sounds like it gets plenty of light. Here would be just the opposite.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice specimen! I love columbines. Birder17, Mine have always reseeded. As for deadheading, Yes it will extend your bloom time. I have managed to keep one in bloom well into the summer heat by deadheading. They do seem to reseed fairly true. This plant does seem to prefer afternoon shade in hot zones. Even at high elevations I have found it growing in partial sun.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the information. It's always welcome. I really have enjoyed this particular columbine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.