To prune or not to prune?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

To prune, or not to prune--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to enjoy the
full skirt Ophelia, Or to take pruners against
a sea of troubles and experience the exquisite
bark of Stewartia pseudocamellia.

I am on the fence, which is the curse of being open-minded.
I'll cast all doubts aside and let the smart folks at Dave's Garden decide.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Pruneth her up, saith I ...

As may sadly be apparent, Elizabethan English not my strong suit....

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

A yea for Weerobin. Is yours pruned up?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several, most are pruned up. But I have conflicting thoughts, since multistemmed shrubs/trees survive deer rubbing better than those with one or two trunks. A few in the primary deer highway I've left unpruned.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Good point Wee...

Pseudo plant another you can prune, lol.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Mipii :
Good point Wee...

Pseudo plant another you can prune, lol.

That is a good idea. I've been touting this tree as z4 hardy, but I should try another. I'll get right to it. ;)

Hey, I can see room for another, just behind the first one in pic #1. If not then compromise, limb it up a bit to show off some bark but keep it multi-stemmed. Like this one;
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179621/

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh, I won't do too much tinkering with it, but the picture you've shown is what I was thinking. Actually, I'm leaning towards leaving it as is for another year. I may prune off a couple of low branches, but that's it. That all sounds good, but once I get pruning I sometimes have a hard time stopping.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My wife cringes when she sees me with the pruners.
Or worse, the loppers. Or the saw. Or better yet, the chain saw!
But she's really never too worried,
because she knows I can never get the blasted chainsaw going...

Smart girl Wee, rigging the chainsaw...lol!

Check the spark plug...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ah, Pseudo - the ravages of age and time avoid no man.

Recall this repartée, not all that long past?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/667139/

Pruning Philosophy, indeed...

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh Vociferous Voice, what happened to your sparring partner, Decumbent? That was one of the best threads I have ever laid eyes upon.

Them there were fun times - may they live on in memories and new opportunities to learn.

Herr Decumbent no longer graces these threads with his wit and wisdom, but I see him and friends every month on sojourns up to the greater Cincinnati area meetings of fellow tree geeks.

Searches of past postings will turn up more than a few gems like that one. I'll endeavor to link some of them from time to time, as pertinence and serendipity allow.

There are at least 5 former astute DG voices in this image, from a 2012 visit to Louisville...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Awesome VV, thanks for hanging around. ☼

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's hard for me to believe almost eight years have passed. That has to be one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read on any forum. I miss Scott's wit and way with words.

BTW, who's the distinguished looking gentleman on the far right? Is he on his knees or standing in a hole?

Maybe a result of excessive pruning...

Here is what would never be possible with application of "let's limb everything up".

This just happens to be a Parrotia persica.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

The woman in the last picture looks likes she's enjoying the...ah, experience. Is this the Arnold Parrotia?

The woman in the last picture (also in image #3) is so fortunate as to be the manager of that wondrous specimen in this fabulous Richmond city park. She is Ms. Peggy Singlemann, Director of Horticulture for Maymont.

She will unabashedly relate how this tree makes the Arnold and Biltmore specimens play second fiddle...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.