What to do, what to do

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

One of my brugs has suddenly had the whole top wilt. It's not broken and we can't find any insect or hole in it. I really want to keep this one. It's Sunny Smiles and is fairly rare. Should I just cut off the top? How will it react to that heavy-handed treatment?

Mulberry, FL

Don't get your hopes up till you see it bloom alot of those euro brugs turn out white lol I have a very pretty white here that was prima donna look at that pic its not white lol sometimes they get this wilt and theres no saving it cut it you don't have much to loose its coming from the bottom up try to root a couple peices before it goes

Long Beach, CA

Where do you have it in your yard. Some brugs like full sun while others like part shade. Maybe you could move it to a different location. Just a thought.

Mulberry, FL

good suggestion but I have seen this before with euro brugs it doesn't take long and there gone

Well, since it completely drooped and all the leaves were wilted, my DH cut the top off. Inside the stem we found it was hollow, the work of a bug. We just couldn't see where he got in. We had Sunny Smiles last year so we are hoping that this one will simply branch out from the cut and eventurally bloom anyway.
Thanks for input about the European brugs. The only white I have is Super Nova and it has done well.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2014 12:22 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1 Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Mulberry, FL

Did you ever get a flower from it?? It only happened to me once but like I said the plant died

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

happened to be lurking and thought i'd mention that you can sometimes take a thin piece of angel hair pasta and go down inside the hollow section and kill the borer. unless it's gotten all the way to the root, i've had success with this method with roses in the past.

Dana, we don't have year-round bloom here; our climate is too cold. So this a cutting I grew over the winter and planted about May 15. We did cut it off below the hole in the top. So I hope it just bushes out and blooms. Trackinsand, thanks for the tip. I'm sure I'll have use for it again.

Long Beach, CA

Quote from trackinsand :
happened to be lurking and thought i'd mention that you can sometimes take a thin piece of angel hair pasta and go down inside the hollow section and kill the borer. unless it's gotten all the way to the root, i've had success with this method with roses in the past.

I have never hear this before, excuses my ignorance but it the pasta cooked or dry? Is it only angle hair pasta?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it's dry. the reason i said angel hair is because it's the thinnest. you could also use a very thin wire. normally the hollow stems have a very small bore hole.

Long Beach, CA

Interesting. Maybe that is why I loose so many cutting.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Wood..............the Sunny Smiles cutting you sent me last fall is looking good so far. I was having my doubts as to whether it would even root and there was a point when I was afraid it croaked. Ah, but my patience was rewarded by growth from under the soil. :>) It's at least a foot tall now and looking pretty happy out in its pot in the yard with the hibiscus. No, not potted WITH the hibiscus, in the same area. LOL

Great! You will be pleased with the results. It's very unusual.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Wood - that brug in your pic is beautiful!

Thanks kooger. I could send you a cutting when I cut them down, if you want. Or maybe a rooted cutting in the spring. You'd have to remind me, though.
The blooms are huge; I measured the largest at 17" long.
The Sunny Smiles is doing well but all my brugs are slow this year due to my lack of attention. A knee replacement and sacroiliac pain have stopped me from climbing up and down my terraces. DH just went down and weeded for hours a couple of days ago. It's good because I still have a few daylilies to plant in front of the brugs, with a little path in between.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

That would be lovely! I'm game to try another.

Sounds great! If you want a cutting this fall, send me your address by private message here at DG.

I don't see the picture here so will try posting it now.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Wow! that's so unusual and beautiful!

That's one I promised to send you. I think the other is Super Nova with huge pristine white blooms.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1 Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Oh, I see I already posted these pix. Ah well, to update you, they have rooted well in water and are now being potted. I will send detailed instructions with them.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

If you have spares, I'd take on of those too...........LOL

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Oh my, I can't wait!!

EDITED: You guys better put this on your calendars and remind me. Anna, I probably will have another but that's it. These sell at the museum, rooted, for $6. I hate to take money away from the museum so these are the only place I give freebies to a couple of people (except family, of course). The pix of the one you see made a big impact in this small town.
I will send you really good ones. Do you want a cutting from the trunk for the real tall ones ( up to 12 feet in one season with LOTS of fertilizer), or from a cutting in the upper part of the plant for a bush sized plant about 5 feet tall? The short ones bloom earlier.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 8:19 PM

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Wood, I'd take one that would be from the upper part of the plant. If I remember correctly, I did pay you for the last one you sent me with the $$ to go to your museum.

And of course I would pay you for this one too for the museum.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2015 1:31 PM

Yes, you did and I gave it to them to deposit. I ask people to make the check out to the Transylvania Heritage Museum.
I think this year I am going to plant one about every 10 feet coming up the driveway; there's a little more sun there.
If any of you see an angel trumpet named diamond something , please let me know. I know I found one somewhere but can't find it now. I want to buy one. It is an ivory color.
Between fooling with the brug cuttings and poring over the seed catalogs, I am so getting a rush. Even though my greenhouse is tiny, I sure have fun in it.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'd be glad to give to the museum as well. Gosh, they are so beautiful!

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I would like a cutting too . Paypal is easier for me . It messes up check book when post office looses the check .
By the way , when I prune my brugs , I either use the black pruning tar stuff or melt candle wax .
Would like the big white and the yellow red .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.