USPS Shipping Question Priority Mail

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I can't find this anywhere, can you help.

I mailed a plant by Priority Mail that included $50 insurance. It was suppose to arrive in three days. It took 7 days for it to arrive to its destination. Not only was it way late, but the package had been smashed and the plant on the inside was beyond saving.

I am mailing another plant, but want to know if I can make an insurance claim on both the plant and postage, or even just the cost of the postage.

Thanks for your help.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

You can make the claim for both as long as the total cost does not exceed $50. See https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Sometimes, perhaps often, the USPS will want to see evidence of the damage, both to the plant and to the box. I hope the recipient of the plant at least took pictures. That's always a good thing when dealing with our Uncle.

Oddly enough, I filled a claim with the USPS last week for the same thing. That's the first time I have done that. My buyer took pictures of the four plants (she returned their "bodies" to me) but did not think about taking pictures of the crushed box. The box was a USPS issued box, a Priority Mail box in fact. I haven't heard a word back and frankly, I will be shocked if OUR government ever responds back to me.

Ken

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Please file the claim as soon as possible.
Attach a file (which is necessary) of the invoice which was sent.
For instance: If a buyer purchased your item through Ebay, take a photo of the invoice ( I take it right from my screen) and attach it to the claim.
Write a brief description of the item and the damage which occurred through shipping.
Add in the buyers mailing address and if you want payment to go directly to the buyer.

After the claim is completed, you can respond back to the buyer with the information.
The buyer will receive a refund check through USPS.

You can also review the claim process on line by logging into your account on USPS.

Hope this helps.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

SP, have you actually filled a claim and gotten reimbursed by USPS?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, we filed claims. although we submitted that payment goes directly to the buyer.
The buyer receives a check within 2 weeks.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

OK, you have given me hope. I will get the check (hopefully) since I already refunded the buyer in full.

Ken

Ken, You can check the status of your claim by logging into USPS and then going to filing claim status. Here you will see if the claim is still pending or approved.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

OK, I will do just that. Thanks again.

Ken

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Nine days and still "pending". Not quite as hopeful.

You can always contact your local USPS post office and ask them to pull up the claim.
Just give them the tracking number. They will give you the status and possibly push the claim for you.

Yonkers, NY

Hi, I did file a claim. The Post Office did not deliver a plant that was suppose to be 2 day Priority. I did not receive my package until 2 weeks later. The plant was dead on arrival. I filed a claim and included the sales receipt. It took 3 weeks, but I was re-imbursed by the Post Office. They have a phone number where you can check on the status of your claim.

Sorry about the delivery taking so long. Glad you were able to get a refund.
USPS has a phone number to check on claims? If you have it available, could we ask if you can post it here? thank-you in advance.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I have a USPS account and I can check the status of my claim from there. Still "Pending".

Yonkers, NY

To follow up on a claim the number is 1-866-974-2733. If you filed your claim on line there should be a link to follow up. Any way you can get help at this number. Good Luck.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

As I said a couple of days ago, I went to my USPS account and checked on the claim. It was still "Pending". I checked again this morning, and it is still "Pending". The claim was filed 6/6/14. I don't think calling would quicken the process. I still have my doubts I will ever get reimbursed for my loss. Time will tell.

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.