Yardening June #2, 2014

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yak yak yak, and that's no bull. You guys have loaded up the June Yardening so much we need another!
Newbies and guests always welcome, just general whatcha doing in the yard stuff.
came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1363010/

This message was edited Jun 13, 2014 7:37 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--how timely!

What I was doing half the day was, desperately, trying to get rid of all the plants still
languishing on my tables. Some bigger--some barely seedling size.

Walking around half the day with a plant in my hand trying to find a small open spot
somewhere...anywhere! .Darn all those yellowing leaves!!!!!!! Be Gone!!!

This is called "stuffing my beds full".... but I was determined not to have anything left.
Later--when all this grows and blooms--you all will think I had some kind of a
"Master Plan" for everything.....I KNOW you will.....

Ended up making up a lot of potted plants--with this and that added to the MAIN plant.
I think I created about 5 pots--some large some smaller. I was on a MISSION!!!

Still have to plant out all my Caladiums--they are all sprouting--FINALLY!!
Out of the 15 pots--maybe 4 have not shown any life yet. They may be dead--or late.
Those sprouts are really growing fast---now to find homes for as many as i can.
I DID save spots in the main beds....put a stick in the places I want one.

The biggest "long shot" of all the things I planted in pots are te purple and yellow
Daturas. Whatever was their problem--they were only 1 1/2" tall.
Planted them anyway--and surrounded them with other flowers.

All I have left are several of the speckled Coleus (Carnival) which are about 18" tall.
Thinking of just cutting off the tops and re-rooting them one more time.
I also still have a slew of the "Dwarf red Coreopsis" big-by-now seedlings.
These were supposed to be my R. Hirtas!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR....

Will tackle the Caladium planting Monday--my next free day.
Also--have to divide the "Pregnant Onion"...There are 3 large ones--and then
a bunch of the "marble babies"....Sally--will pot up one of the smaller big ones for you--
it is the size of a Clementine..maybe...
Will put it in a nice clay pot....

Feeling a bit relieved that all this is done. almost done.....

It is rumbling and lightening outside right now--another storm coming.....
Geeesh! Enough is enough!!!! The ground and lawn are like a wet sponge!

Sally--ID this little spider for me....Two of them have been sitting on the yet
unopened flat buds of the Tiger Lilies...
I think (??) that it is one of those "Jumping" spiders??? Or--whatever they are called...
Two of them were sitting on two buds all day. Are these "good Guys" or "bad Guys"??

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

I call them Daddy long legs

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

That's what I call them too, Sally. They are "The Good Guys". Totally benign and just as cute as can be. :)

Becky, your front beds are looking wonderful; so full of colour lushness just popping out!! Are those lighter yellow daisy-looking ones toward the back (with the darker centers) a Coreopsis? Those are great, I love the creamy colour and that seems to be the perfect height!! Mine has gotten far too tall and is really floppy and sprawly...NOT attractive! :( I think mine are either Lanceleaf or Sunray, not sure which. They're certainly a LOT taller than they are "supposed to" be - about chest-height to me.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's a good thing daddy long legs have such small mouth parts, I've read they are one of the more venomous Arcanids.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Very happy to report that not only have my ninebark cuttings not died, there is new growth on at least 4 of them! :) if all four of them survive this summer, I will have at least 2 to offer at the Fall swap.
SSG, do you know what variety of ninebark this is?

Thumbnail by typwc
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Yay, this is so exciting! You have the magic touch! There's no way they would have survived under my care.

I got 'Summer Wine' because I heard it was the most disease resistant, more so than 'Diablo.' I have a serious issue with powdery mildew but this one has stayed disease free.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a gorgeous day. We've sure had great weather the last few weekends. I've been out puttering since 7:00 am. I got odds and ends from the staging area planted and rambling from place to place doing general weeding. It makes such a difference with the amount of weeds when you have mulched. I'm thinking about digging, dividing, and moving a few things that are getting overgrown next, but still with the low energy level of puttering :)

Puttering is a lot of fun and, in my opinion, very underrated! :) And, you're right, today has been such a gorgeous beautiful day!! Low humidity and at work very briskly breezy all day, SUPER lovely!! I hear that tomorrow is supposed to be quite similar, so I shall get the mow lawned and then do some puttering myself. Whee! =)

eeek! Ric, I've played with Daddy longlegs and even told my kids they could.

Jealous of you all who got to enjoy puttering on this perfect weather day! I'm hoping to get some puttering done tomorrow--just in time for the heat wave they're predicting!

I haven't puttered yet either Catmint, but the day is not quite over!!

LOL Sally--that's what I'm thinking, too! :-)

Everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY, in my neighborhood is mowing today, right now...lovely evening 'cept for the mower noise!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We all play with Daddy Long Leggs, Don't let Ric scare you off, I looked it up and it is a much pasted around un-truth.
http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Yay, we can all go back to playing with them again! < =D
Pheewwww, disaster averted! ;)

Great link Holly! Putting my sign back up, "Welcome Opiliones"!!

Did you hear the scream? Twisted Mark's arm. so we are going to Home Depot for a grill.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I didn't get as much planted today as intended but I did put some much needed Daconil on our long pyracantha hedgerow. Some of them have started to get scab :( I had to spray out 5 gallons of solution on those baddies! I also was able to mow the grass and put a fresh spray of Round Up on the undesirables. I planted a bunch of plants in the front yard garden and I think I found a way to thwart my skunk friend from digging my plants out in the middle of that garden. Before today there was a circular area in the middle unplanted and he's been having a good time digging about. So I packed it with plants and placed large rocks in between them. Unless he can lift them, I think I'm good or so I hope....fingers crossed, should know tomorrow morning.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

But, I saw it in print so it must be true! Then again I may have been in the checkout line. Enquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for the disinformation.

No need to apologize Sir. I'm just sorry that you've been missing out on all the fun of playing with the little cuties! :(

WOW Jeff, how long is that Pyracantha hedgerow!?!? Did ya get any pics of your new anti-skunk babies? I look forward to hearing good news this morning... like, ya saw the skunk with little suitcase in hand, standing at the bus stop down on the corner. =)

When it's a proper time, I will get out and mow here also, then I'll get to do some puttering, yaayy!! I think I'm going to take some cuttings of one of my Coleus and spread the joy of it into some other pots. I'll get pics later.... hang on, I might have one already... this thing didn't come with a plant tag, but it's really pretty! It's a pearlescent purple-y colour with hints of green through it and around the edges. I have no idea which one it is, but I love it!! I got it, literally, RIGHT off the truck when the flat arrived. Took one look at the flat and said "I GOTTA have one of these!!" - grabbed one, set it aside, and THEN put the flat into the greenhouse for sale. =)

Thumbnail by speediebean

Pretty coleus, Speedie! There are so many cultivars and so many of them look so similar...

It is rather pretty, huh? Now you know why I had to have it! :) I'm wondering if it's "Grape Expectations"... except there's so much green to it! I dunno! =)

well, I made the mistake last fall of moving some plants around late in the season and *not* keeping track of it. Now I have some plants coming up but I'm really not sure what they are.

1) Is this a heliopsis? or coreopsis?
2) I thought this was where I had an aster planted but now I'm not sure! Is it aster or solidago?
3) Maybe my Solidago sphacelata 'Golden Fleece'?
4) Scabiosa columbaria? Verbena 'Lollipop'?
5) Lobelia?? Aster??

Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906

Speedie, I've tried IDing coleus cultivars and don't have much luck--mostly because there are so many cultivars that (to me) look so similar! :-o I think there is a coleus expert on the Coleus forum who might be helpful?

Okay, one more mystery plant growing in my yard from last season:

1) Is it my long-lost Russian sage 'PeekaBlue' that I thought didn't come back? or something else?

Thumbnail by CatMint20906

#1 - My vote goes to Heliopsis

#2 - That looks like Solidago to me. Not sure of the variety though.

#3 - That sure looks like Solidago sphacelata 'Golden Fleece' to me... just based on the leaves

Not sure of the rest of 'em, sorry. :(

thanks, Speedie. I'm kinda leaning the same way as you for #1-3... The heliopsis is amazing as it is something I thought was long-gone...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cat--

Not much help--bit #1 looks like a Coreopsis and #5 does NOT look like an Aster.
At least not like my Aster...

Again--on the others--I do not what the names are...so I cannot help.

G.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is my Heliopsis---More daisy-like bloom than in your picture #1.
The leaves are all different too...
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

thanks, Gita! Yes, the leaves on this plant are quite narrow and not roundish like yours! On the other hand it is such an upright rather than mounding plant--it doesn't seem like the coreopsis lanceolata I used to have in that area!

Hmmmm... you're right - now that I think about it, those leaves are NOT heliopsis-type leaves at all. But, looking at the center of the bloom, it sure doesn't look like the Coreopsis Lanceolata either. Probably some sort of coreopsis though... < =/ I'll get some pics of my Lanceolata later and we can compare. :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

#1 is almost certainly a cultivar of Coreopsis lanceolata.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge of proper terminology, but... at the center of the bloom, around the perimeter of the center, there are those tiny little dark brown pip-looking things... that's what's got me thrown a bit. Oh please don't laugh at me, I know there's a word for those things, but I have NO idea what it is!! < =/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The tiny little dark brown pip-like things are the pollen-bearing anthers on the stamen tips. Color can vary some form plant to plant and at different points of maturity. Check out link for similar flower, and then check out other photos for plant to see the amount of variation that can be present; http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/102606/

thanks so much, David, for your keen eye and verification of #1! I did sow some Coreopsis lanceolata in the spring of 2013 and I got one huge beautiful plant. This looks like it had a rough time coming back from the winter, and I think I'm going to move it to a sunnier spot. The spot it's in should be full sun, but I think the huge yarrow may be blocking some of its afternoon sun...

Now if only the others would declare themselves!! :-o

This message was edited Jun 16, 2014 5:11 AM

besides all the cultivars of Coleus, they can change so much with the light level

No help from me on those mystery perennials

you KNOW its a gorgeous day, when nobody posted here in hours!!!!

I've been trimming, weeding, planting..., a little of everything. Everywhere I look is something to do.
8 ^/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Speedie, I really like that coleus, very interesting colors. If it grows well you could take some cuttings for the fall swap. The colors remind me of Persian Shield.

LOL Sally--I was thinking the same thing! I've had a wonderful day puttering, weeding, deadheading, trimming, transplanting... whew! Saw another painted lady butterfly and some kind of lavender butterfly--maybe an azure of some kind--small and pretty. Lots of cabbage whites floating around, and lots of different kinds of bees sampling the flowers.

Thank you David, that link was really helpful. It's really cool to see all those variations in the same plant.

Sally and Catmint; I was thinking the same thing earlier as I was outside playing: "I wonder if anyone will have been posting in DG? I doubt it!". < =) Got the mow lawned, cut back the Coreopsis that was just way out of control, fed some babies, watered everyone, took some cuttings of the coleus in question and popped them into some bare spots in some of the pots out back. (Bare spots are a no-no!). Putter here, putter there, everywhere a putter putter. :)

1: Found this little one hiding in her foliage. Wheee, my first Echinacea bloom!! :)

2: Blooms from my Coreopsis - interesting how the 2 blooms look so different from each other, on the same plant!

3: Please tell me this is a 4: O'Clock!?!?! I have several of these splattered all over The Big Bed, but this is the largest of them all so far. No blooms yet.

4: This pink thing out back is slowly filling out.. still don't know what it is though. Sure looks pretty - never thought I'd have so much pink! :)

5: Here's what that Coleus looks like with a bit more sun on her - from purple to a rusty-wine shade. I'm really loving her! =)

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean

3 looks like pokeweed. But everythin else is so pretty, makes up for it!
Is the pink thing a Veronica?

There have been purple things blooming in many gardens I passed last couple weeks. Small ish perennial, with skinny purple spikes of bloom above the leaves, not tapered like that pink thing in speedies post. Anybody know what those things are?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.