What kind of tree is this?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree is this? It's in my back yard. I like it and would like to plant another. Thanks.

Thumbnail by JamesLasch31 Thumbnail by JamesLasch31 Thumbnail by JamesLasch31 Thumbnail by JamesLasch31
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

My guess would be Ailanthus Altissima or Tree-Of-Heaven.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2014 12:48 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Ailanthus altissima. An invasive weed tree in your area, so best get something different.

Resin

Thanks. I think I'll keep it though and plant another. I really like it.

Google the words "ghetto palm", my friend.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghetto%20palm

Shortleaf,

I've been reading up a bit on Tree of Heaven since the ID tip. I don't recognize my tree from the bad press Tree of Heaven gets. I've never had dozens (or by some accounts, hundreds or thousands) of seedlings popping up in my yard, it doesn't have any odor, and its withstood severe windstorms and cold for years with no problems. I don't see what the issue is. I don't have a problem with the name either. Not trying to start an argument, but I'm baffled about the dislike people have for these trees.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

JamesLasch31:

You came here for advice, and well-meaning advice was provided which has quite sound basis. You've looked at other information which apparently parallels advice given here. This advice is perfectly applicable to central Indiana, as will be what I write below. There may be other parts of the world where it does not apply.

Yet, you wish to ignore it. So be it, but I won't go silently into the night. I believe that anyone that gardens - knowledgeable or newbie - should have access to the best and most current information (and opinion), and then go and make their choices with their eyes wide open.

I will blatantly say what I think is the case, which happens many times for those who "will not see." You are still learning about plants, but you don't like to hear bad news. Normal. However, you should realize that your observations are really missing some key points about plants which you don't yet understand. You can leave this site and do whatever you wish, but when the worst occurs...you will wish you had pursued more information here and dealt with the problem that you don't yet recognize.

Ailanthus altissima is a dioecious tree. That means it has only male or only female flowers on a tree - so plants are often referred to as "male trees" or "female trees." The female trees will produce seeds after pollination. The male trees flower, and then go on their merry way with foliage the rest of the season.

Ailanthus altissima is also a colonizing species. Similar to species like Sumac and Johnsongrass, that means that it suckers prolifically from its root system - especially after any kind of disturbance to the tree (storm damage, pruning, cutting down, tillage or digging around its roots). I suspect that this is the primary origin of "...dozens (or by some accounts, hundreds or thousands) of seedlings popping up..." in landscapes inhabited or bordered by this plant. Observation by those who don't know the plant's behavior presume that these are seedlings. Because these are likely root sprouts, pulling them up (easily) means simply that they are broken off of the existing root system - which spurs yet more suckering as the parent tree produces prodigious stem and leaf volume from dormant buds along its roots in an attempt to replace lost photosynthetic surfaces. If you haven't already observed it, there are likely additional members of this plant on adjacent properties, because root systems don't respect property lines. If your neighbors are trying to get rid of this plant - or are doing any gardening/soil disturbance within its root zone - that will trigger suckering just as much as if you were to perform similar actions.

The "odor" that many mentioned is that encountered if one were to break off a stem (this tree is quite brittle) or to crush some leaves and take a whiff of the wood/foliage. It is a very climate and soils-indifferent species, which adds to its effective invasiveness.

Due to your relative unfamiliarity with the plant, you don't know that one of the worst aspects of this species is its allelopathy - a trait common among almost all plants that are properly termed invasive. This means Ailanthus altissima produces or causes conditions that alter the environment around it to the detriment of other species and reduces their capacity to exist. Ailanthus altissima usually ends up being a monoculture due to this characteristic.

So there you have it. I see you posted pictures from a couple years ago. I would presume that more stems are already occurring in any landscape activity you may have embarked upon (including sprouting in turf areas populated by its roots), and that neighboring properties have encountered similar situations. You will do as you see fit, but it would be more than instructive to return here at some point and post your experiences - whatever they may be.

I'd only additionally suggest that you take the time to visit or converse with your local extension service, native plant society, or any other group you may be aware of that spend time eradicating known invasive species. Here you will learn more - and maybe get to see in person - about the problems this and other invasive species cause, and the appropriate steps that must be taken to effectively deal with this plant. You will probably hear many horror stories of "how not to" approach removal - or preservation - of this species.

I'm most sorry for your neighbors, if you choose to keep this plant. They will rue that day.

You won't find it for sale at any nursery, not even Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot, James. To each his/her own, their your property values. I don't expect your neighbors will like a scene similar to this in unmowed-frequently-spots of their properties. - (below pic) After the neighbors get info. on the tree and trace the suckers back to your trees, I'm guessing lawsuit. The term "noxious weed" should do it for just about anybody.

" It is considered a noxious weed in Australia, the United States, New Zealand and many countries of central, eastern and southern Europe. " - Wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

This message was edited Jun 14, 2014 10:26 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

An interesting link that shows the challenges in trying to remove an invasive plant:
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/controlplans.shtml#toh

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the advice, and didn't mean to sound quarrelsome or "know it all" about this subject.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for postingJL31. I certainly learned some things from this thread. I don't have to deal with Ailanthus altissima this far north, but there are plenty of other nasty invasives I'm trying to eradicate. When I first became interested in plants, I had no idea of the scope of this problem.

Pseudo, glad you found it useful. I always enjoy learning new things myself.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey James, another thread in this forum discusses a Kentucky Coffee Tree. It you squinch up your eyes and peek at the pics, it has a little bit of the appearance of the Ailanthus you like. Maybe a candidate for your yard?? Check the "A first for me" thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.