Babies, Babies, Babies!

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

I have babies everywhere in my pond and it is making my pond a very florescent green! I have about ten toads that have proceeded to make many many many tadpoles in my pond, my goldfish have went crazy and have multiplied my fish population ten fold, and to stay in the spirit of things I even have baby water lilies popping up. It feels more like Spring than June in my pond! Anyone else dealing with to many babies?

Athens, PA

I found with goldfish they breed every month from April to October once they are old enough to breed.

How big is your pond?

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

About 1500 gallons but the thousands upon thousand of tadpoles are worse than the goldfish. It's like a swamp right now:(. I do keep finding more and more baby goldfish though, they seem to make a home in my flower pots that are just under the water.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

It probably doesn't help that we had a torn liner this last winter and I'm re naturalizing a full sun pond with a new liner(doubled the size of our pond) with all this sudden new population.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2014 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis
Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

I was thinking about trying a uv filter but was wanting to talk to someone about how they work and since I have two pumps and filters to equal the filtration on my pond, only half would go through the uv filter. Would that work and would I still see improvement in green? I was trying to do it naturally but I purposely set up my water feature to be somewhat slow moving. I am also getting an air stone since I have such a massive pond population with all the babies and the toads keep breeding. I don't want to take any chances with my fish. Any advice on uv filter?

Athens, PA

You would definitely see an improvement in the green with a uv light. The other thing I like about the uv light is it is a sterlizer as well.

It is smart the have the extra air added into the pond. The extra fish load will cause more wastes and ammonia which will deplete the oxygen in the water.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Thank you, it does help to hear a real person state that it will help, I've seen websites saying how great they are but I've never spoke with someone who has one:)

Athens, PA

Actually I have 2 and they are on either end of the pond. Truthfully this year, we didn't even have a green period - which surprised me.

Yes, I swear by them ^_^

You will probably hear from others on that as well. I believe MerryMary has uv lights, I know Bonnie does and I believe Mary (Oberon) does as well.

Carolyn

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

How large is your pond and how many watts are your uv lights in comparison?

Athens, PA

My pond is just under 5000 gallons. The uv lights are both 18watts tetra 2's.

Columbus, OH

What is currently your primary means of filtration? Having some air stones in there will help the health of the pond too. And one quick and easy thing to do to improve filtration is to add some floating water hyacinth.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Have water hyacinth and two internal biofilters using bio balls, sponge filters, and lava rock. It's actually starting to clear up recently, just going through the naturalization/cycling process again and it's freaking me out.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Wouldn't be without UV clarifiers. I get dirt on the bottoms of ponds which I vacuum out but don't get green water anymore.

You will be amazed at the great job they do. Definitely worth the expense.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

BTW all water should pass through the UV clarifier in order for them to do their job efficiently.

After you determine your ponds gallons you can usually find a chart that tells what size UV needs to be on it.

Good luck!!

Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Couldn't live without UV's....Here in Florida between the heat and the sun, I can't imagine how bad the water would look without them. They also keep certain diseases down to a minimum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.