Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

We went to see the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit last weekend. It's located at the Seattle Center, right by the Space Needle. There is a lovely exhibit indoors, but also a large part of the exhibit was out in a garden - beautiful. The plant selections to set off the glass were really well thought out. I thought I'd share some pics. The first 4 are out in the garden and the last one is inside.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Those are all astounding sculptures. Thanks for sharing.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I've seen programs about his work on tv, but can't imagine seeing it in person!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Back in 2001 my daughter and her husband went to see his exhibit on their honeymoon. It was a bridge of glass: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chihuly+bridge&qpvt=chihuly+bridge&FORM=IGRE.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I looked at that link, thanks Arlene. I think one of the things that appeals in his work is the way he so obviously loves nature, and color. His garden sculptures are not representational, although clearly inspired by shapes or colors in the garden, but are what we could do if we boldly took our 'gazing balls' and birdfeeders and ornaments to the next level (or perhaps outer space).

The man's talent and the way he sees things is remarkable. His dreams must be spectacular!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I agree with you, mlm. It's like the gardens of Olympus or something. Agree with you too Arlene!

Seattle, WA

I just returned from Denver (HOT there!) where Chihuly was exhibited at the Botanical Gardens. Some of the coolest features were in the water. I will mention that there were three or four weddings going on---the downside of visiting on a weekend--and sadly for the brides, we got a pretty hard afternoon down pour, complete with thunder and lightning. For those of you unaccustomed to the latter, it's no place for an umbrella. When I can get my pics to download, I'll post some.

Great, I'd love to see the Denver pics, too!

We are very lucky to have a reliable summer drought. Add that to the lack of severe thunder/lightening storms, and we are extra lucky!

Seattle, WA

Here are the promised Denver Botanical Gardens pics.

Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena
Seattle, WA

A few more.

Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena Thumbnail by velveteena
Seattle, WA

There are a few non-Chihuly items that I thought were also awesome.

Glorious photos and magnificent works of art.

Love those last photos! That conservatory is beyond wonderful and so dreamy!

Thanks for posting the great photos.

I really like the ones in the pond. How do you suppose they clean them? If the boat bumped the sculpture it could cause a real problem.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I am currently visiting friends on Bainbridge Island and we went to see the Chihuly 2 days ago. I had read about it first on DG and it was more than I had imagined. As you can see I am from Texas. It was spectacular, and pictures just cant convey the scale of it which will blow you away! Thanks, Seattle for the lovely exhibit.

We also went to see the Hoh rainforest and the Bloedel Reserve, I enjoyed them both immensely. I will try to post photos when I get home and get them downloaded.

For all you PNW's, you have a lovely home.

steadycam- I am so glad you liked Washington. You sure picked the "Plant Geek" tour! I think when you post some photos of the rainforest and the shrubs at Bloedel, you might want to put a link in the trees and Shrubs forum-those folks sure enjoy a nice woody plant photo!
p.s. I hope you got to see some Really Big Slugs out at the Hoh river, this drought has sure cut the population this year.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I did see one of the slugs and at first did not know what I was looking at.

Seattle, WA

Anyone interested in Chihuly's work should check with a nearby large botanical garden to see if they have scheduled, or will in the future, a showing of his work. They all have similarities, take forever to view properly, and are great day or night. Nothing like seeing them in person, particularly if there is a large water feature.

This summer I finally viewed Chihuly at his Seattle Center museum. A surprise for me was his great interest in Native Americans and their art. One large room has a wall of woven blankets, and another is covered in vintage photographs from various tribes by well known photographers. Of course there is also a lot of glass, my favorite being his rendering of a Navajo (?) basket, which was kind of slouchy, in glass. Wow!

Next door you'll find a restaurant which contains but a small sampling of some of Dale's favorite (vintage) things. Nothing like Oprah's! The ceiling is graced by about 75 accordions, for instance. Each table is glass-topped and contains a mini collection of you name it! I love the sterling sombrero ashtrays of my youth. Where are they now? I think they are all in one of his warehouses.......

I have to go back with our better camera and a tripod, and be one of those people who are there for hours. The photo ops are great! Also, we will try the restaurant. We missed it the first time around.

Steadycam3, did you get any fun pics?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.