M. bombycina advice please

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Picked this up a while back. It had been neglected. Eased it outside and have watered it very lightly twice. The positioning of this specimen seems very different from those I have seen in photos. I believe the larger body of the cactus is rotting (moving straight through the middle to the right). It is simply laying on the soil. I lifted it and everything stayed intact. It is soft and as you can see, discolored. There is no smell and it is a light green color.
Since I have had it, a new spot of healthy growth has developed in the sea of yellow. Maybe you can see it.

What should I do? Cut it up and root the healthy parts or leave it alone and keep it dry?

Thanks for any input!
Kiley

Thumbnail by Kbh69
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It looks like the large part going to the right has had sun beating on the middle area turning it brown. That will never change. If that area is soft and rotting underneath from lying on wet soil, you could remove the nice new fresh growth and start over. Be sure the soil you use is loose and amended with pumice or perlite or small stone like quarter inch granite at about 40% of mix. Let the roots heal a week or so before starting to water again.

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much.

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Blooming bomb! I rooted the heathy segments and LOOK!

YIPEE!

I so enjoy gardening!!

Kiley

Thumbnail by Kbh69
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I knew you could do it, Kiley! They look wonderful ... and so happy too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.