Any Interest for a IL/MO RU?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Im in the St Louis metro Area on the IL side. Anyone around in the vicinity looking for a RU? Or if there is one in the progress please let me know!! If not, Id be more than happy to start one! :) Comments/Interest/ Gripes please let me know!! xx Amanda

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364596/#ixzz34MUHHrp7

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Amanda, we had a spring one 12 days ago. We surely would welcome anybody here.
Thanks alot for your interest in one. Our next possible one would be in the Fall. We are certainly open to locations. Somebody in this forum that came to the RU recently from your area is Greenbrain aka Betty. You sure are gung ho! We like gung ho folks real good!
Will

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks Will! KC as in Kansas city? Thats about 5 hrs from here, I have a gf in windsor thatd let me impose on her hospitality? Im on the opposite side of the state, but might be able to make it to yours this fall.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

badcat if you want to organize a fall one I think we are all open to suggestions. We are looking for more plant lovers like us.

Think I will be going to st Louis for master gardener convention. I am so excited we are going on tours.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, Kansas City. Oh, we don't have all the Roundups around here. I know we might have seemed prejudiced with this area for RU's over the years. There has just been a higher number of participating members from Missouri. Missouri is also just kinda a good center of this forum's range I think. If you'd like to read about where the last one was and who went and stuff, that Roundup thread is 1 or 2 threads underneath yours at the main forum page. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_lmw/all/

5 hours? Do you drive 30 mph? I'm kidding you but I get to St. Louis in 3 hours usually. : )

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

3-4 hours from here too depending on where in St. Louis. I'm also open to suggestions for the next one.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol must drive like granny I guess.

Joyce you should swing by when your over this way. I think my neighbor was talking about those tours the other day, pretty sure he will be there with ya ;)

I have never spent any time in St. Louis so I am excited, thinking about coming up a couple of days early to play around.

You can come, you don't have to be an mg, We go to classes and on tours, there is a dinner with speakers. I will send you the link once I know it is up and working. It is usually Fri, Sat, and part of Sun. You don't have to go to all of it at all, you can pick and choose.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

When is it? I have a big BBQ the 28th and the In Laws will be here during that week. So much to do around STL. Youll have a blast :)

wow glad I looked I need to register. Here is the link.

http://www.momgconference2014.org/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

badcat, I just noticed your thread here. I don't know how I missed it because I'm logged on every day. I'm in Madison, IL and a member of Missouri Botanical Garden. I work in downtown St. Louis. Would you like to meet up sometime? I could get you into MoBot for free. My family and I just went to the Desert Show at Mobot last night. I'll be posting pics on the June 2014 CMW gardening forum some time this weekend.

Pepper, her grandmother, and another member met me in St. Louis (reminds me of a song) at Mobot one year. I mentioned having a RU at maybe Cahokia Mounds or Horseshoe Lake. What do you think? Would you like to help me organize it? I'm going to be too busy this fall because our church is having our 10th anniversary celebration in September and being the church secretary, I'll be pretty busy organizing that event. We met in Sedalia, MO for the last RU and drove out with my family for the day. It wasn't bad at all, but my husband has family in Eldon, MO so we're use to driving out that way. My parents' families are all in NW Tennessee, and I'm use to doing that trip in one day also; usually for funerals. The TN round trip in one day is pretty exhausting, but Sedalia wasn't bad at all. I love the scenery in Missouri. I also drove to a RU in Odessa, MO and visited Powell Gardens which was really nice. My family traveled with me and we spent the night in a motel. We would love to do that again. All the KCers are extremely friendly and a real nice group of folks. I don't mind meeting them on their turf & getting away from this area for the day. However, if meeting somewhere more centralized would help some of the IA, IN, MN, & MI folks attend a RU, I'm all for helping organize it. How about going toward Springfield, IL? We have all winter to kick this around for the next Spring RU.

Anyway, I have lots of plants that I'd be glad to share with you if you're interested. Just send me a D-mail and we can arrange a meeting sometime.

Betty

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Playing Catchup, all my company is gone. Betty Id love to meet up sometime! Cant believe your 20 min away lol. Id be more than happy to help get it together!

Oh how fun you guys! I met Betty this summer at the ru. She is a sweetie.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Another DG gf is coming down for a visit on the 10th! lol Betty you wanna get together so you can tell Joyce how crazy it is!?!? lol jk ;) about the crazy part anyways lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

BD, I'll have to wait & see what's going on. We are a 1 car family right now and my husband uses it for his business. I take public transportation to work. It all depends on if I can get the car. I work days Mon. - Fri. & get home a little after 4:30. Keep me posted and thank you for the invite. : )

Joyce, I was on my best behavior that day being with my 2 daughters and gr-d. LOL

Well Badcat look out then...LOL

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

ok maybe im scared!!! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Just call me "bad dog"! LOL

I think I will call you two Qrazy rofl.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ha! Ha! I'm really very sweet; like Joyce said. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Badcat, I just read your garden diary. Oh, we have soooo much in common. We do have to meet. We are definitely like minded.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Just might be double trouble then hahah. Sorry been away this weekend p/u rabbits. Taylordaylily is coming to visit on thurs for 4 days, I know were going to do some BBQin and visit MOBOT. if your interested in getting together let me know :).

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks badcat! I'll think about it, but this is my hubby's birthday weekend. Enjoy. : )

I'll mention a few things real quick that we have in common. The interest in making our own none toxic cleaners. I have 2 pet rabbits and compost their poo for my garden. I start my winter seedlings in the basement. I home can pear sauce and pear butter from my pear tree & cherry jam from my Nanking cherry bushes. Also, I can b&b pickles, chow-chow, & pickle relish from my garden cukes. I freeze my blackberries for cobbler, but have been thinking about trying blackberry jam or syrup instead. My parents grew up on farms in TN and my relatives were all self-sufficient small farmers, and I always admired their lifestyle.

My basement growing area, Java & Mr. Beans, Christmas time at Mobot, my veggie garden, & Nanking cherry bushes.

I'm going to visit your garden diary again to copy your laundry soap & fabric softener recipes. I think that I like yours better than the one in my book that I "borrowed" from my oldest daughter.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok no worries then! Happy Birthday to DH :)

Guess we do have a mess in common lol! Freeze the blackberries anyways until you know what you want to do. Lots easier to make jam or syrup, juicier after they dethaw. Im doing relish this summer, any tips on how to keep the early cukes until I have enough to can?? Love the pics! Do you breed for meat?

Tip for that Laundry Soap, dont use the ivory w/ aloe. It wont gel right. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My dad breed rabbits for meat to my dismay after my 4 sisters and I had made pets out of them. No, they're pets only, but I do put their poo in my compost pile.

I bought Fels-Neptha soap at Wal-mart and grated it. Will that work? Thanks for the recipe & tip. I keep the cukes in the frig until I get enough. They usually keep well for a few days. I still have black berries in the freezer from last summer, so I plan to make jam with those because I got tired of cobbler. So far, we've been eating most of them fresh this year since it's healthier. This year, I plan to give away more fresh produce to friends & family & put up less since we still have so much left from last summer. Also, people just can't remember to return jars when I give it to them canned.

I make relish too. I try to use Splenda for canning; instead of sugar because my 9 yr old gr-d has type 1 diabetes. I usually can't tell the difference & it's actually better for me too.

Do you use essential oils? If so, do you buy mail order & who's your source? I ordered some last year that I'm still using, but will probably have to re-order soon. I don't even remember where I ordered from, but should have that info. somewhere. They were pretty reasonable, fast & accurate, & quality seems good enough. I have lavender, rosemary, orange, & lemon, but I'd like a lot more.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol Isnt that annoying? My neighbors always want BBQ sauce, they bring me the jars back thankfully. Sometimes extras :) lol. Fel will work fine, Iv only used it once because the Ivory was cheaper. I quit grating too lol, I just cube it as small as I can and melt it.

Iv not used the oil but atlantic spice co sells them and I order herbs from them. I wouldnt mind trying and putting a few drops in the soap. They seem pretty reasonable on price for them.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks badcat. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.