I'll have the cheesy combo

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I know there are some plant snobs who would scoff at planting either of these, but to have both and this close together is contemptable. The goal here was to create a fragrant garden at this front entrance and patio. I know I'm likely on borrowed time with the mockorange, but for now it makes scense.

Thumbnail by Pseudo
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Works for me.
Do you have one of those viburnum carlesii's or one of his kin?
For me, they make about the most 'scence' of any plant around here.
You can smell 'em across the yard...

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I think it makes 'scence' too. Your entry is beautiful. In fact, it makes more sense than putting a bunch of iffy, experimental things there. There is a reason some things are common-they look good and are reliable. And smell good too.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I planted a Korean Spice last summer right next to the Syringa, but it was one of the few woody plants that died completely. The other was Cornus kousa. This spot only gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight, and I moved three struggling Diervilla's to this site. I spend a lot of time moving plants...

Just down from the Diervilla's is an A. palmatum, which as you can see didn't much care for our past winter. It survived, but looks just a bit ragged. Kind of how Keith Richards looks a bit ragged. I sited here thinking it was the best chance for it to survive. I'm actually surprised it came back at all, so I might have been right about that. However, more to MLM's point, I was wrong to plant it in such a visible location. Any ideas on what to replace it with? Calycanthus? Dang it, there I go again!

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Osmanthus americanus...

Magnolia virginiana 'Tensaw'...

Sarcococca hookerana var. humilis...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

For real? I think in your sly Kentucky way you're making a point. Well, either that or you're just rubbing it in...

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Nice entryway Pseudo. My mom had a Syringa Globe Tree in her backyard that was about 17 years old. It died probably shortly after this photo, that Summer anyway, the heat and drought did it in, she didn't water it. But, the smell was real nice when it was alive. Just a heads-up, they want water even after their established, when it's hot and dry.
Will

This message was edited Jun 12, 2014 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

No sly - just a response to your penchant for fragrant annual woody plants.

Might as well have some really good ones for that single season of stardom...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
No sly - just a response to your penchant for fragrant annual woody plants.

Might as well have some really good ones for that single season of stardom...

I don't doubt any of that, but none of them are remotely hardy in z4. Actually, I've never tried any of them, but it everything points to z5/6. Your'e an enabler. ;)

Notice I wrote "fragrant annual woody plants" - not persistent permanent species.

Petunias and Pelargoniums aren't remotely hardy for you or me - as well as Lantana and Banana - but people grow them anyway for a summer just because they like them. Thus, annuals.

You are our Official (Officious?) Zone 4 TrendSetter™ for one-shot woody wonders...wear it.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oops -- I missed the annual part. Must...slow...down...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.