What is This?

East Bridgewater, MA

Back lit pics, sorry. There are two yards on my 40 minute drive to work that have this in bloom right now. What is it?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like Golden Chain Tree (Laburnum)

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree. It really is pretty - I saw a weeping form at a nearby nursery but by the time I talked myself into buying it, it was sold :-(

East Bridgewater, MA

Thank you both. That is most certainly the correct ID. :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks most like Waterer's Laburnum (Laburnum × watereri), a hybrid between Common Laburnum (L. anagyroides) and Alpine Laburnum (L. alpinum).

This is the commonest Laburnum in cultivation, as it has the advantage that few of the toxic seeds are produced.

Resin

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Resin, are the seeds toxic to wildlife?

Quote from Mipii :
Resin, are the seeds toxic to wildlife?

Varies from species to species, some can eat them, others can't. In general, wild animals are rather more sensible than human kids (who like experimenting too much!), so no need to worry about wildlife.

Resin

Thanks, feeding the wildlife is an agenda of mine. In this case its a Lepidoptera larvae food plant. I like three season interest plus (feeds or shelters wildlife), can't get any better than that! Sometimes the bloom, fragrance or growth habit can slip through my guidelines though...alas, I'm only human.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Your question ought to be: if I'm interesting in supporting native Lepidoptera larvae, what in the world did they evolve with, and how can I supply that to them?

And I'm betting one of your answers won't include that species/genus...

If I'm interested in supporting native Lepidoptera larvae, what in the world did they evolve with, and how can I supply that to them?

Lol, apparently, Laburnum is not a supplier.

Laburnum will have evolved with various southeastern European Lepidoptera . . . ;-)

If you want to attract native Lepidoptera, better to plant local native trees.

Resin

Thanks, short, sweet and succinct Resin (get in, deliver the knockout punch and get out). I was expecting a rather long list from VV, a man of a few more words than you. He likes to dance and tease more. Lol, perhaps I shouldn't ass u me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.