freesia bulbs in containers disaster!

Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Hello,

I'm based in Great Britain and purchased some Freesia bulbs single mixed and double mixed.

I planted the 20 bulbs 2" deep as per the packet in my 12" pot. I used separate pots for the double and single types. I used good quality multi-purpose compost.

I planted the bulbs on the 13th April, and kept in the greenhouse until the risk of frost had past, then stood the pots outside.

Its now 5 June and nothing has come up. So tonight I emptied the pots and the bulbs are still there but have no sign of germination.

I purchased the bulbs from a discount retailer (99p stores for those in the UK!) and have had no problem with other bulbs from them.

Please find enclosed a photo of the bulbs after being lifted.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Peter Jones

Thumbnail by jonesypeter
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It could be you've purchased your first old or bad batch. It helps to scarify freesia bulbs by soaking them in water for a day before planting. That will hasten germination.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I grew freesia, it seemed to take FOREVER for them to sprout, and then FOREVER after that for blossoms, but I never kept track of the dates.

[Carole, as he's not a subscriber, will he even be able to see these answers?]

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't know, Carrie, but I thought if he could post here that he would also be able to see the replies. However, I'm not at all certain about that.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I had the thought that he could see the first post in a thread; I didnt even know he could start a thread. Very strange not to be able to see the answers to your own thread. We could log out if we're dying of curiosity. :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

OK, I did. Yes, I could still see this forum and apparently post to it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm so Peter is just ignoring us? But if he CAN see everything, what's' the pay off for subscribing? Oh well, I have enough problems on my plate, and that's not one of them. (Trying to refocus and look at things in a positive light...)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, you know how it is - a lot of the forums can only be seen by subscribers. Others are free for anyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.