Tiny little collection in the rainy Pacific Northwest

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Gould asked for pics of my Epis. Mine are sure pitiful compared to yours. My excuse the the 8-9 months per year of cloud cover where I live. I don't have any supplemental lighting.

I am about to put these outside - we are just about to enter our sunny season. They should grow pretty well for a few months.

Here is the one that started it. I had it on my windowsill a few years. Then last summer I noticed a flower! Woo-hoo!

My one and only flower - last year. This year's growth. Notice it's still indoors.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Then I bought a couple.

Ric Rac, E. 'Just Beautiful' from Logee's. These are growing, believe it or not. They only had 1 leaf each last summer.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Orchidman1 in his greatly appreciated generosity sent me 5 cuttings.

Young Nun
strictum
Mor Mor
ackermanii
Fiesta de Flores

I managed to keep all alive and they have sprouted! Poor Mor Mor is a little wimpy because I broke a piece off.

Thank you, Orchidman1!

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady
Mountain View, HI

Wow, looks like you got some really nice cuttings from Orchidman. Looking good.

I've never been able to get Ric Rac to flower over the years. Hope yours blooms.

Thanks, me too! For some reason I was really drawn to Epiphyllums even though they really aren't meant for this climate. (Delphiniums grow like weeds here, though.)

Mountain View, HI

I'm originally from England and your climate must be very similar to that. Miss those English plants but maybe not the climate.

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice cuttings and plants too. Your Ric Rac looks so healthy, I just started with mine here too, and it is so satisfying to see them root. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Thanks Gould! I felt great success when I was patient and got the first little sprouts off of the cuttings months later. So far, the Ric Rac it the most vigorous grower. It'll need a big hanging pot soooon.

Microb, absolutely our climate is quite similar to Great Britain's. The only difference is this nice 3 month drought we have every summer - our "modified Mediterranean climate." I can sure see why you would enjoy leaving the rain...

Mountain View, HI

Momlady, its not rain I left. It was the love of my life that I found 38 years ago. Love the rain. That's why we moved from hot Honolulu to cool Mountain View on the Big Island. We get over 100 inches of rain a year where we live now in a tropical rain forest. But we don't go below 48f and there is no snow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.