Atlanta Botanical Garden

Decatur, GA

I thought I would share the wonderful topiaries that are on display now.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, the topiaries are very nice. Seems like they moved some to different locations such as the Unicorn and Shaggy Dog.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Decatur, GA

Nice pictures hcmcdole. My camera battery died before I could get pictures of many others. I don't remember the frog though. Very cool.

Don't you just hate that when you get to a great place for photos and your battery dies? I remember my second digital camera and being in Miami (Fairchild Tropical Gardens). I left the spare battery back at the hotel (smart, huh?) and the battery in the camera died within 30 minutes after getting inside the gardens. A worse situation was my first movie camera (Sony) with the crappy Ni-Cad batteries. I received this camera from NY one day before our trip so had no idea how long the battery would go or enough sense to have bought a second one. It died within 15 minutes so it was like carrying a five pound weight the rest of the day. Lessons learned...

Here are some more frogs and a close up of the one in the arched pond.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Have you ever gone at Xmas? We did last Xmas (on Xmas night) and it was chilly but so glad my daughter said we had to go - very nice.

Here are a few photos on the great lawn around the same curving pond (changed colors to the beat of the music) and a couple of the topiaries.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Decatur, GA

Thanks hcmcdole. Those are great pictures of the lighted topiaries. And the frogs!

Thanks Helen. I know I will be going back sometime soon and of course during Xmas.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have been members of the Atlanta Botanical Garden for years and love seeing the seasonal displays. We especially love the Fall displays around Halloween. They are created by local amateur and professional gardeners, companies, non-profs and clubs. It bears mentioning that many of the other displays involve world renowned artists such as Dale Chihuly and the Garden purchases sculptural pieces from the artists for their permanent collection. If you have the opportunity to see the annual Orchid Daze exhibit in March you are in for a treat. Additionally, the Fuqua has the largest display of world species orchids in the United States. It's really remarkable. Sadly, the Garden charges an exorbitant admission to non-members. If you can go three times in a year it is well worth the cost of a family membership. They give you two or four gift passes as well so you can bring friends. Parking charges are ridiculous but you can go on line in advance for a rechargeable card.

Decatur, GA

I agree Laurel, its getting expensive to go to the garden.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I rarely soap box but this gets me going every time; dinner table, cocktail party, whatever, even as a member that supports the Garden and many of its individual programs. Something as wonderful as a city garden should be available to the public at large at a reasonable price. The ABG has created a vision and venue that caters to international tourists with an entrance price to match. But not for the people of Atlanta. At 18.95 for "adults" and 12.95 for children 3-12, it's cost prohibitive for the average family. The parking, which also provides for Piedmont Park access is $3.50 with a rechargable pass, but regular parking will cost $8 or more dollars for a half day in the Garden. I have letter written, answered numerous phone calls regarding membership satisfaction and met with administrators about restrictions for organizations I belong to that meet in the Garden. The public at large should lay claim to this resource.

Decatur, GA

I agree again Laurel. It use to be fun to go the ABG with the little parking (free) lot on the side. I have had membership for years but when I went with my sister and her two grandsons the price to get it was almost $50 which included parking. Luckily she didn't mind paying but the price took the fun out of it for me. It certainly isn't a place for the general public. But I guess times have changed and it probably costs a lot to maintain the place.

Granted it is expensive but compared to say a Braves game (Falcons are out of sight) it is downright cheap. Even going to a movie nowadays is expensive. A membership is the way to go.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.