Can you help w this NO ID?

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi all :)

I've never posted here before but wanted to add a pic of this daylily is was given loads of last year. I was told it was orange, honestly it didn't matter what color it was, as I was just wanted to fill in a blank space. Well it bloomed and it's so pretty (I think so anyway)! Would anyone happen to know its name? I know it can be hard to ID since there are so many reds, but it looks like 'Crimson Pirate' to me. Wild guess. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

If you can measure the bloom and height of the scape, it can help you narrow down your search. It is a beautiful daylily. If you don't find the name, you can name it after yourself or what ever you want. :)

Thanks for the info! I will measure the blooms and scape next time it blooms, maybe tomorrow since I see buds that look about ready to open :)

Okay I'm baack! I measured the blooms and scapes this morning. Blooms are 5" across and scapes are 16" from the ground up. If anyone has a clue what it is, I'd really appreciate the help, if not it could be fun to come up w a name too!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It could be Crimson Pirate. Sometimes the first year in the garden they don't reach their normal height. The bloom width is correct. I would watch it and measure the bloom stalks next year to see if they are taller. Watch for a rebloom also. That can help you narrow down the suspects also.

It's a beautiful Red. I love it! It can be hard to find names sometimes. There are so many seedlings never registered, not to mention the thousands that are registered. Tissue culture also causes changes in daylilies. Your big box stores have tissue cultured daylilies for the most part they will not be true to the plant they are suppose have been. They may or may not look like the named daylily but, they often don't have the garden habits or vigor of the mother plant.

The daylily might have looked more orange in the garden it came from. Daylilies can look different in different soil and differences in sunlight affect their color. That might be why it was orange for your friend and red for you. It's a beautiful keeper either way! You should share it on the June blooms thread. Somebody on there might have some id thoughts. If not they will love admiring it. :) It's a beauty!

Thanks for all your help Taylor! Let me know if you would like some, I could share a few clumps w you :)

I will try your suggestions on remeasuring the stalks later, headed over to the June blooms thread now. Thanks again!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Your Welcome! Thank You, for offering to share.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.