Sonata Cosmos, should I pinch the first bud after transplant

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Usually I plant cosmos from seed but this year I purchased six packs of Sonata Cosmos and transplanted. Most of them have their first flower bud and some have opened but they are only about 4-5" tall. Should I pop their heads off? I usually pinch marigolds and some other annuals to make them bush out but not sure about the cosmos.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by toni5735 Thumbnail by toni5735
Florissant, MO

Hi Toni,

Well, I grew Cosmos ‘Sonata Pink Blush’ from seed (under lights in the basement) this year. I pinched them back once (or maybe twice) and they are now planted outside and about 12 inches high and almost as wide. All have buds and are just starting to bloom. So, I’d say your plants would benefit from pinching them back now, at least once.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Art, thank you for the quick reply and knowledgeable advice. I have about 3-4 hours of daylight left here so I'll enjoy the pretty blooms till sunset and then off with their heads! :)

Toni

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Just saw these post and I love cosmos especially Sonata series but also Gazebos as well as the Cosmos sulphureus Cosmic series and Bright Lights. I do pinch out purchased transplants but haven't with those I've seeded inside. At what stage do you first pinch?. Here in Zone 6a I start some inside for earlier bloom and direct seed more in late May, Has anyone tried this with zinnias started inside?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.