June 2014 Transitioning into Summertime.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm still up and realized it's June 1st and a brand new month.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, the armadillos are creeping northward! I remember that too, it was lkozarksgarden that said they would get in his garden. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/974407/ I guess they don't mind the cold, it's gets colder than heck here sometimes.

Haha! Yes, I'm not too chatty in person! I've never been talkative, even as a kid.

"Cactuar", that's funny! Years ago, a sister and BIL named an Eastern Red Cedar that I gave them, "Fred"!

Butterfly nectar eh?! Cool! Wow, June 1st already, how time flies!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, that pic was taken inside the Butterfly House last winter. I thought the butterfly nectar was cool too! I was trying to remember that DGer's user name. I was thinking "Ozark". He is originally from this area, but moved to the L of Oz after retirement. Thanks for sharing that link. I didn't realize that people have been seeing them in Central IL! I'll have to tell Carla. She thinks that they're cute and was saying that they're like a cross between a turtle and a possum and then starting calling them "possum-turtles". Ha! Ha!

Will, when I was a kid, my dad once spanked me for talking too much! The spanking didn't stop me. It just gave me something else to talk about. lol

Here's a forum for you Joyce. Never noticed it before; until now.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/retired/all/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I believe that "ozarkian" later changed user id to "lkozarksgarden". Here's when "ozarkian" was on CMW forum in 2008. What do you think?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4919865

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ha! I was reading old posts while traveling down memory lane and look what I found. Who remembers this one?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2270079

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I took some pics of the Nanking cherry bushes this morning while still covered with red cherries.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Glad you people had a good time at your RU.
Someday, if I ever retire I will attend.
I was at our Farmers Market Saturday morning. It was very busy again.
We sold lots of plants & all our produce, lettuce, radishes & kale.
Guessing over 1000 customers attended.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope all the cherry seeds sprout because they were good!! I will have to find spots here at home for them, at my grandma's and if there is enough left I will share some with a friend. lol

I have pics also, will download them this afternoon. Finally unloaded plants this morning but am hiding in the house for awhiles. Need to get some liquids down me so I can handle the heat better.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, some of your irises are going to end up in the church yard landscape, and possibly some of the other flowers; if I can fit them in. I know that everyone will enjoy seeing the irises in bloom around our sign next May. So far, all the plants are holding up well in their pots in a sheltered spot by the outside faucet in the driveway next to the garage.

We're all resting too; except for poor Carla who is working until 10 PM tonight.

Yes, I love the cherry bushes too and I hope that everyone has success growing their own. They really are low maintenance and easy to grow. It seems like every time I go to the back door to let the dogs outside a robin is swiping a cherry. LOL

Hehe.. I started to write the name Ozarkian but then I saw the post was under lkozarksgarden.

Thanks Country Bernie, yeah, we had a good time, join us sometime!

My Nanking sprouts are coming right along, I think there is 4 or 5 of them in the pot of seeds I got from you thru the mail, Betty.

"Possum-turtles" haha! I saw a raccoon a few days ago at nite in the yard that was as big as a medium size dog, it was BIG!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

CountryGardens, it would be great if you could join us. You sound like you have a nice farmers market. We have one in Kansas City and you have to get there really really early to get a place to park and then to get the good stuff...rofl. Bet there are things really fun about selling at the farmers market like meeting the people.

One of my friends has a farm and they sell at several of the farmers market and they have greenhouses you can buy flowers and veggies from. Looks like a lot of hard work to me. I just retired and they asked if I wanted a job this spring watering.....I looked around and decided I would be paying them to work by the time I got thru buying all the plants I would want. LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, about the armadillos. Did you know that they can carry leprosy? I may have read this a few years back and forgot about it.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/06/14/warm-weather-attracting-armadillos-to-missouri/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Bernie, so you, Ju , BP, and GL could all meet up somewhere around Davenport, IA, Peoria, IL, or Chicago, IL which would be a central meeting place. Just a thought.

Sure, you guys can meet up there and drive in one car to our Roundup next time!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry, no car pooling for me.
It's not that far to KC, just way to busy this time of the year.
Farmers Market 3X a week, 8½ acres of garden to plant, & a big kitchen cabinet job to finish.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well maybe I could do something like that. Not sure yet. But its not a bad idea. Is the round up just once a year? I will have to keep an eye out on this thread and maybe next year? Thanks for the thought.

We do one in the fall sometimes too. Depends on whether anyone wants to meet then also.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm usually so busy in the fall harvesting and putting produce up. Then, you've got the short daylight hours. Of course, I could unload some pears at a Fall RU! LOL

I picked cherries today to make cherry jam. I've decided to do the same with the frozen blackberries in the deep freeze from last summer. Looks like I'll be canning after work this week.

It would be nice to have more folks at the next RU. Maybe we could grow this community for next Spring's RU. I noticed that some folks who use to post regularly here, but drifted away are still DG subscribers.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, the Michigan forum is a ghost town. No one ever posts over there. To bad used to be lots of good topics on there. Sad.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Maybe we could visit and spice things up!

I came home today to the news that my younger cat Little Guy had to be put down. He had contracted Protozoal Disease and there is no cure. When animals get it they only live 4 days. He started having issues Sunday and the other day we took him to vet. He thought he only had a virus but he didn't get better. Both my parents and I are having a hard time with this. He was a great cat.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Sorry to hear about your cat, pepper. We love cats here too. My friend here, for years has had hers cremated too. It's a couple hundred dollar expense but she loves her cats, more than me she says, jokingly of course (I hope..lol)!

I tried some simple layering of my big Hall's Honeysuckle vine. I did 5 of them, if anybody would like to see my 4 minute and 12 second video of my attempt at it on Youtube here it is. -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x49bnz9O9yw&feature=youtu.be

Here is my Nanking Cherry sprouts from seeds that I got from greenbrain last year. I counted 5 sprouts in there. - pic #1

Does anybody know what this is in this square red pot with the English Ivy? Nevermind the Ivy but I can't get it out. I grew both those from cuttings last year.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Maybe a jade vine? Post it on ID forum and see what they say. It's neat looking though.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, those are definitely Nanking cherry plants because they self sow all over our yard. You did good!

Could that be some kind of milkweed plant?

Thanks Betty, I'm hoping for good things from the Nankings, they sound delicious!

Milkweed eh? I got them from a friend who doesn't know what they are either. It doesn't look like a trail-er or a vine when it's in a big planter. Where I got it from was a big round pot and it was growing upright. It does kinda resemble Jade but I don't know if Jade flowers like that.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I visited the UMW forum and the most current and extremely lengthy thread is titled "Spring Is Coming!" Hasn't Spring arrived yet in the Upper Midwest? Anyway, I see that Ju visits their forum, so that should keep things interesting enough. I also recognize an old garden buddy that I use to run into on another forum. I'm glad to see that she's still around.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

It does look a bit like a jade and they can have white flowers.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15263/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It looks like a Euphorbia ,, Will ,,
Milkweed Curtissii or showy stonecrop ?

Gb Some years the weather here is like yours other years more like the Upper Midwest ,
Such as weather is ..

Ligustrum
Penstemon

This message was edited Jun 6, 2014 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I don't know if the leaves are as dark and thick as Jade.

Hi ju! Thanks. Nice Ligustrum and Penstemon.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. Hope you are having a good weekend. We are so far. I do have to work tomorrow its suppose to be my weekend off. But getting lots of overtime right now. After work we are going to go fishing. Should be fun I am sure.

Oh BillyP that is an amazing gift to give to children. You have beautiful hair but to think how it makes the kids feel is most amazing.

You have been one busy lady to say the least. I am like you good weather work outside, bad weather work inside. We don't have enough good weather to spend it indoors around here. I have to plan my days mornings and cool weather west side, afternoons or hot weather east side...LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok, this is the 2nd time that I've had a nice post going & somehow deleted it. Typing on the laptop is weird to me. I'll try it again when I return from church. The last one was a good 4 paragraphs long!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Billy I do Not know where your post went. But I loved the pics of your hair cut!!!! Wow some children will sure be happy. So thick. I bet the lady was nervous cutting it huh?

Boy it was cool here most of the day. I should of got out and worked in the yard but I was really tired today. I did end up mowing but that is all I got done. Think weeding and mulching is in order tomorrow.

I have this pergola we built a couple of years ago. I want it in a beach theme and I got this brilliant idea...rofl. The pergola is built on a small slope nothing dramatic but mowing under the pergola is a pain. I have to move the table, chairs, and the two other chairs and the plants to mow. I can't afford to concrete it, or build a wooden porch, but had this thought I could build a base around it, lay down a heavy plastic tarp and fill it with sand. I would have my own beach....rofl. Then if I was really energetic I would extend the water garden. Take the original water garden and make a waterfall down to another water garden which would run over to the pergola filled with sand! I would have sand and surf...rofl.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happ, I say "go for it!"

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Got 4 pints of cherry jam put up yesterday. Off to work. Next week I'm on a 5 day vacation to work on projects here at home, so you'll hear from me more then. Have a great Monday.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
I ADORE ''The Three Stooges!'' I grew up with them and feel like they're family.
Yep, 85 is all. His Sister just turned 89. She's the oldest, his brother is 87 and he lost one brother to diabetes. His youngest sister is, um, not sure.
Thanks for the link. I haven't been on for a ''few'' days...

Thanks for the new page Betty!

Will,
I remember Ozark! I was thinking bout a few people I met long ago on Dave's and was wondering how they were, like Leaflady and Ju Ju.

Betty,
That is so funny and that's exactly what they look like!
OMG! That was one of my FAVORITES!! I think I bumped it a few times. It still cracks me up!
Oooh, the cherries look so good! Are they sweet or tart?

Hi Bernie!
I'm glad the Market is going well again!

Oh Pepper,
I am so sorry for you and your parents. I have never heard of the disease.

Will,
It's sedum.

Thanks Happ!
I'm really glad I chose ''Wigs For Kids'' instead of ''Locks For Love.''

Thanks Ronna,
She cut it like a pro :o)

Oooh Happ,
I LOVE the idea of a little beach! Beats moving and mowing, LOL!

Betty,
I'll bet the jam is delicious!!

It's been non-stop busy here, again. Dad had his cataract removed last week and next week we do the second eye. Thankfully he can do his own drops so I don't have to be down there. I will be going today to pick strawberries. It's been so cool they aren't very sweet so a couple of days ago we just weeded the bed.

DH got the ceiling finished and we put the room back together. We'll take it apart again when he paints and he'll scrub the rug while the room is fairly empty.

We had to run a new cable back to my TV in the bedroom. The other cable had a bad connecting wire. I re-cleaned the bedroom.

DH has to help a friend this week vacuum out his grain bins. His brother had an unexpected illness and won't be farming anymore. DH is more busy than I am. He also has to help someone else put water in their pole building.

The twins B'day is next week too. They'll be three. After that, Dad's appointments are all that's left on the calender.

Last week, I saw a cardinal wrestle something off my cherry tomato plant. He flew to the grapevines with it. I looked the next day and found a green cherry tomato! I hope they stay out of the peas this year!

Have a good day all!

BillyP are you getting scared knowing there is nothing on the calendar...rofl. I haven't had problems with birds and the veggies thank goodness.

Oh happy for you Betty having 5 days off, enjoy and hope you have perfect weather. We are cool again so I need to get out there and get busy! Suppose to have rain later. Glad I got all mowed yesterday.

Sedum eh, billyp, thanks. You like The 3 Stooges too Sally, we like Shemp!

Yeah, some of the long-timer members are m.i.a., maybe they'll surprise us and come to a Roundup someday. I haven't heard from Leaflady in nearly 4 years, maybe she'll come and visit the forum she created sometime, she isn't a member right now. - http://davesgarden.com/members/leaflady/
Even the members here now could have been members long ago on a different name.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

BP, the cherries are tart, but we eat them fresh and just spit out the pits while sitting on the lawn swing. We'll have bush cherries growing all around the swing. lol I picked the last of them this evening and doggy JoJo was trying to help, I guess, because he kept eating them off the bush. LOL

I'm off next week and hope to put down a new kitchen floor. After the major auto repair, I'm concerned about the finances. We'll see if my hubby can get enough work this week to make up for it. Business has been pretty good for him lately.

My hydrangeas are so gorgeous right now. I took pics, but am too lazy to load them. Maybe next winter. LOL

Debra, I just remembered about the pics riding home on the bus today. I'll will try to get them to you soon. I'll have plenty of time next week; if not before then.

I made corn chowder with sausage for dinner tonight. It was the first time I tried this recipe & it came out alright. With the cool rainy weather, it was perfect with some crusty cheesy bread.

Well, I have to get back to doing nothing! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.