Artillery Fern, am I doomed?

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Am in central Florida and have the tiny Artillery Fern growing everywhere in my rock-beds & yard, (they spread everywhere quickly). --- Does anyone else have this problem with this weed, if so what do you do about it or what did you do about it, if anything at all?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, you are doomed.....i have learned to live with it and appreciate the fact that it is low growing and kind of pretty.

Thank You... That is what I thought.
I'll deal with it being around while trying to kill some of it in my rock-beds, but my socio-neighbor may not like it when it heads his way.

It all started when I purchased a fruit tree in a pot from an area not close to me (the artillery fern was in the pot in the soil) and when that tree was planted into the ground here, that weed fern took off onto my property.

Oh well, I may have to put up with my miserable neighbor, but not much I can do about it.
Life's too short, live it relaxed when possible.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

one thing i've found is that it is much easier to pull when it's larger; more root (hopefully all) will come up at one time. every tiny leaf you leave behind is another plant ready to grow.....
i think that's how we all get it....comes in on a pot. it's considered a "nursery weed".

I agree with you, it is so much easier to 'pull-up' when it is taller.

The 'Artillery Fern' throws it's seeds out into the wind everywhere.

Unless you win the lottery & can pay to have your lawn pulled-up & a new one put-in and have professional 'weed-killer' applied every month, you won't get rid of Artillery Fern.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

lol. found this link about killing artillery fern, I think the green in the gaps of the pavers is pretty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPKKKZHMLuc

Sorrento, FL(Zone 9a)

I've burned this down with a product containing natural oils to kill liverwort and mosses. I believe it may have oregano oil in it. Worked really well for me.

Anette_c, ... Thank You for your information. This may help others with this fast spreading weed.

Thank You :]

Plant City, FL(Zone 9b)

It's in my pavers and almost every morning I look for it with a carafe of boiling water and cook the little ones. After more than 6 months it still comes up in various places.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

Like others, I finally decided to co-exist. When it gets out of hand in a planter then I'll pull it, but otherwise it can stay. I also agree that it looks good between pavers. It seems to like my planters more than my beds and I'm good with that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.