What birds have you seen this year??

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

We had a different bird I had never seen come migrating though several weeks ago Bobolink
Lots of blue buntings this year
Never have it seen a woodpecker on the ground but this one kept landing and walking around
Female summer tanager

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I don't know why none of my photos showed up

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Riverland :
We had a different bird I had never seen come migrating though several weeks ago Bobolink
Lots of blue buntings this year
Never have it seen a woodpecker on the ground but this one kept landing and walking around
Female summer tanager

Actually any thing. That moves is welcome butterflies bugs squirrel gators ( ha)

Ripley, MS

i was thrilled to see a robin this spring, that was after my second eye surgery! i could not see enough to tell what kind of bird, just know it was a bird. Other than that, i haven't had much time to bird watch, but love seeing pictures of them

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a bird problem! I have what looks like a pair of cardinals (I say looks like because the male is not as bright a red as it should be) that keep trying to build a nest under the awning on my back porch. This would normally not be a problem but this pair needs to take 101 bird nest building. For at least a week now they have been working on this every day. They are trying to use pieces of my lambs foot fern and pine needles. Nothing stays where they put it. Every day I have a huge mess just as I walk out the back door and they picking my fern to pieces!!! Any suggestions? One year they built a nest in the fern. That would be a better alternative to what they are doing now!

I bet your wondering what the devil is a lambs foot fern! I meant rabbit foot.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2014 12:49 PM

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have a large hawk of some sort that keeps visiting my large pines along the marsh. Makes me worry about my dogs.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Nice pictures Cindy.............. we had a woodpecker of some type that we couldn't identify that visited our feeder several times during the colder months....... he was almost as big as the feeder! But, I could never get a decent pic of him because my new camera that the kids bought - the lens doesn't zoom nearly enough........... gotta try to get a new lens!

Happytail..........you do need to watch closely if you have little dogs. Hawks and owls both will get them! Years ago, my husband took my chihuahua out who was "visiting" at our on campus apartment......dogs were not permitted but my parents had to go out of town for an emergency, so I had her just for one night and the next day - then we would be going home of the weekend with her. Anyway, my husband took her out early before sun rise so that no one would see her - when he walked around the corner of the building he noticed she was plastered to the ground - flattened out as flat as she could and he wondered why on earth she was acting like that....... then he felt the air from the owl's wings that my husband had startled flying past his head!! If he had not walked around the corner when he did - she would NOT have been there and we would never have known what happened to her! I grew up on a farm -and so did the chihuahua......and I had NEVER thought about an owl or a hawk trying to get my dog. :( It was a scary experience, but thankfully the tragedy was avoided................

I had a little visitor that was a small brownish gray bird that appeared to have two horns on its forehead.....they were actually feathers - reminded me of an old man with really astray eyebrows, but I had never seen a bird like that. It was only there for 2 days - and then moved on. Any ideas what it might have been, Cindy?? I don't really know much about birds.......

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Cindy, is that the bobolink in the 2nd photo? I've never seen one of those here. So exciting to see migrating birds! I love the indigo buntings and they only migrate thru and this year was the first time I've seen them in a while. Have only seen red-headed woodpeckers a few times around here and mostly around the lake, but we get red-bellied ones all the time around the feeders. Had some nesting in a big sweet gum tree (in a portion that was rotten), but we had the sweet gum tree cut down when we realized a big portion of it was dead. I love finding woodpeckers!

According to the Cornell bird site, Red Heads do look for insects on the ground as well as in-flight.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-headed_woodpecker/id?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=5d401e6c4b-Cornell_Lab_eNews_2012_10_11&utm_medium=email

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.