Need Orchid ID

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

SOLVED: I received this orchid as a gift but know very little about it. The person who originally grew it is not available to provide information due to illness. The person who gave it to me said that she thought it was a rare orchid; some type of calanthe. It may be evergreen. It was probably growing outdoors in a moist shady spot in the PNW, although that doesn't necessarily mean it is a native. The original grower lives in the foothills of Western Wa and most of his property is moist woodland where he grows rare rhododendrons that he has collected from around the world.

The picture makes the plant look taller than it actually is - it is about 8 inches tall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has been in a pot for a month and I would like to get it in to the ground as soon as I know what it's requirements are.

Thanks so much.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2014 12:18 PM

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Appears to be Calanthe tricarinata. Cultivation information is available on line. Very pretty specimen.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for your quick response. I really appreciate the information - I want to do everything I can to give it a happy home and now I can!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.